TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The weekend coffee makings with my kids. :)

With my kids, I started giving my daughter coffee also around the age of 5. It wasn't, and hasn't been (yet, lol), anything regular. Just on weekends like I said. My son has been drinking coffee (also weekends thusfar) on weekends.
After having re-read this, I wanted to clarify that by "anything regular", I meant it to mean "not daily".

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Got a pound of DeathWish ground in today!

I will be awake and ready to tackle the week come Monday AM!

RwP

·
Administrator
7,997 Posts
Farberware was a pretty popular percolator coffee maker, but like anything else they don't make them like they used to. :boom:

Joe

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
On a work day I drink 2 cups of death wish coffee. One in the morning on my way to work and one throughout the day from a stainless steel coffee cup. My brew method is a French press. My consumption method is straight up. No milk. No cream. No sugar.

On a weekend off I might have a cup a day with or without a shot of Gentleman's Jack or Jameson whiskey depending on my pain level.

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
i drink whichever is free or the closest

Im a pretty avid coffee abuser. I typically consume 30-60 cups a day during the winter. Yeah I know it can't be healthy.
You haven't had too much coffee until you start threading the needle on a sewing machine while it's running ... and succeed!

You haven't had too much coffee until the police pull you over for 80 in a 55 - and you're just running down the road in your sneakers!

RwP

·
Registered
412 Posts
Last 25 years been drinking Boondock Bay French roast whole bean 2lb. bag from Grocery Outlet, $9.95

100x better than Navy mud.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i drink whichever is free or the closest

Im a pretty avid coffee abuser. I typically consume 30-60 cups a day during the winter. Yeah I know it can't be healthy.
Whoa. Is any of that's decaf?
30-60 cups a day @ 8oz a cup = 2850mg - 5700mg a caffeine a day. Some coffee is 200mg a day (instead of 95mg) so depending on the strength you can double that.

The maximum recommended amount is 400mg/day
How is your blood pressure?
FWIW, I guess I could commend you on your water intake (240oz of water a day).

----
In less scary notes, have any of you folks tried Siphon brewed coffee? The idea is that the water gets heated to the perfect temp (just under boiling) before it touches the beans. It's pretty much the antithesis of the "cowboy coffee" -- mix it in a pot and have a rolling boil -- method.
https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/siphon

While pretty horrendously expensive (esp when they use a $20K japanese machine with halogen lamps as a heat source), the result from my experience is a pretty flavorable cup without any burnt flavor notes (which I sometimes prefer).

If you ever find yourself in a coffee shop that offers siphon brewing, you should try it. I cannot suggest it for a daily habit though.
https://laughingsquid.com/blue-bottle-cafe-opens-features-20k-siphon-bar-coffee-machine/

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
I believe the Clover Coffee machine that Starbucks used to have (I believe they've been phased out of the stores) was a siphon machine. I had several cups from this machine while on a job in Maryland last fall.

It did make an amazing cup of coffee.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I believe the Clover Coffee machine that Starbucks used to have (I believe they've been phased out of the stores) was a siphon machine. I had several cups from this machine while on a job in Maryland last fall.

It did make an amazing cup of coffee.
Ive heard about a Clover Coffee machine but never saw one in real life.
https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/kitchen/clover-coffee-maker.htm

From this explanation, it seems to combine a vacuum press and a french press with automation and easy cleanup.

Basic gist is the the water gets right up to boiling but never goes over, gets mixed with the ground coffee, and then the coffee liquid is sucked through while the mess gets pushed up the piston to the top to be squeegeed into a bucket.

Very similar process to the siphon/vacuum coffee so I'd assume the taste is the same/similar BUT the Clover setup has less cleanup. It's no wonder that Starbucks bought this company out and shut them down (well, they prioritized nitro brew setups at their stores over these machines. I wonder what happened to all of the systems themselves.

Fun Fact: I checked eBay and these machines are going for over $5K used. What's more interesting though is that the commercial setups required 240V single phase power. THAT must have been expensive to get wired conveniently for every coffee shop location.

---
One more setup to discuss: has anyone made cold brew at home/the office? I went through a few weeks of doing this (what probably got me drinking coffee more regularly). The problem is that even if I was using midtier coffee from the office, the **** is pretty "wasteful". Whereas a french press will only use 1-2t of ground coffee, a cup of cold brew would take 1C of grounds. Even if you cut the resultant concentrate with water, that was a bit much. After going through a pound or so of midtier coffee in a short amount of time, I decided to go back to french press.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts