TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
The weekend coffee makings with my kids. :)

With my kids, I started giving my daughter coffee also around the age of 5. It wasn't, and hasn't been (yet, lol), anything regular. Just on weekends like I said. My son has been drinking coffee (also weekends thusfar) on weekends.
After having re-read this, I wanted to clarify that by "anything regular", I meant it to mean "not daily".

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
Got a pound of DeathWish ground in today!

I will be awake and ready to tackle the week come Monday AM!

RwP

·
Administrator
8,219 Posts
Farberware was a pretty popular percolator coffee maker, but like anything else they don't make them like they used to. :boom:

Joe

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
On a work day I drink 2 cups of death wish coffee. One in the morning on my way to work and one throughout the day from a stainless steel coffee cup. My brew method is a French press. My consumption method is straight up. No milk. No cream. No sugar.

On a weekend off I might have a cup a day with or without a shot of Gentleman's Jack or Jameson whiskey depending on my pain level.

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
i drink whichever is free or the closest

Im a pretty avid coffee abuser. I typically consume 30-60 cups a day during the winter. Yeah I know it can't be healthy.
You haven't had too much coffee until you start threading the needle on a sewing machine while it's running ... and succeed!

You haven't had too much coffee until the police pull you over for 80 in a 55 - and you're just running down the road in your sneakers!

RwP

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Registered
412 Posts
Last 25 years been drinking Boondock Bay French roast whole bean 2lb. bag from Grocery Outlet, $9.95

100x better than Navy mud.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i drink whichever is free or the closest

Im a pretty avid coffee abuser. I typically consume 30-60 cups a day during the winter. Yeah I know it can't be healthy.
Whoa. Is any of that's decaf?
30-60 cups a day @ 8oz a cup = 2850mg - 5700mg a caffeine a day. Some coffee is 200mg a day (instead of 95mg) so depending on the strength you can double that.

The maximum recommended amount is 400mg/day
How is your blood pressure?
FWIW, I guess I could commend you on your water intake (240oz of water a day).

----
In less scary notes, have any of you folks tried Siphon brewed coffee? The idea is that the water gets heated to the perfect temp (just under boiling) before it touches the beans. It's pretty much the antithesis of the "cowboy coffee" -- mix it in a pot and have a rolling boil -- method.
https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/siphon

While pretty horrendously expensive (esp when they use a $20K japanese machine with halogen lamps as a heat source), the result from my experience is a pretty flavorable cup without any burnt flavor notes (which I sometimes prefer).

If you ever find yourself in a coffee shop that offers siphon brewing, you should try it. I cannot suggest it for a daily habit though.
https://laughingsquid.com/blue-bottle-cafe-opens-features-20k-siphon-bar-coffee-machine/

·
Super Moderator
12,560 Posts
I believe the Clover Coffee machine that Starbucks used to have (I believe they've been phased out of the stores) was a siphon machine. I had several cups from this machine while on a job in Maryland last fall.

It did make an amazing cup of coffee.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I believe the Clover Coffee machine that Starbucks used to have (I believe they've been phased out of the stores) was a siphon machine. I had several cups from this machine while on a job in Maryland last fall.

It did make an amazing cup of coffee.
Ive heard about a Clover Coffee machine but never saw one in real life.
https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/kitchen/clover-coffee-maker.htm

From this explanation, it seems to combine a vacuum press and a french press with automation and easy cleanup.

Basic gist is the the water gets right up to boiling but never goes over, gets mixed with the ground coffee, and then the coffee liquid is sucked through while the mess gets pushed up the piston to the top to be squeegeed into a bucket.

Very similar process to the siphon/vacuum coffee so I'd assume the taste is the same/similar BUT the Clover setup has less cleanup. It's no wonder that Starbucks bought this company out and shut them down (well, they prioritized nitro brew setups at their stores over these machines. I wonder what happened to all of the systems themselves.

Fun Fact: I checked eBay and these machines are going for over $5K used. What's more interesting though is that the commercial setups required 240V single phase power. THAT must have been expensive to get wired conveniently for every coffee shop location.

---
One more setup to discuss: has anyone made cold brew at home/the office? I went through a few weeks of doing this (what probably got me drinking coffee more regularly). The problem is that even if I was using midtier coffee from the office, the **** is pretty "wasteful". Whereas a french press will only use 1-2t of ground coffee, a cup of cold brew would take 1C of grounds. Even if you cut the resultant concentrate with water, that was a bit much. After going through a pound or so of midtier coffee in a short amount of time, I decided to go back to french press.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The weekend coffee makings with my kids. :)

After having re-read this, I wanted to clarify that by "anything regular", I meant it to mean "not daily".

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
It looks very pretty! <З
If I not mistaken you use coffee maker from Mr. Coffey? Do you like to use it?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Every once in a while, I'll go out and get myself a cup-o-joe from 7-11. Today was one of those times. I took this picture about 30min before my EOD at the office, lol. I'm going to be up pretty late I think!! ?

It looks very pretty! <З
If I not mistaken you use coffee maker from Mr. Coffey? Do you like to use it?
Yes, you are right. It is a Mr. Coffee coffee maker. I do like using it, and I like the fact that mine has the "stop valve" so that I can pull out the pot mid-way through a brew to pour a cup of coffee if I needed to. My last coffee maker a few years ago didn't have that and I remember making a mess of things once because of it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Coffee. Did someone say Coffee?

I’m a truck driver so I’ve drank a lot of coffee in 20 years and about 2.5 million miles.

Starbucks is OK for favored stuff. Their bitter over roasted beans carry the flavor of the coffee so it’s not being overwhelmed by what ever the flavor is. There was a time when Starbucks where not insanely popular and you could get a cup and out the door in 5 minutes. Good luck with that theses days. I like my coffee black and for the most part their coffee is terrible and expensive if you just want a cup of coffee. It’s not worth the time or the wait.

Small coffee shops can be great though and fresh strongly flavored coffee is great. I deliver raw beans to a local place and you really haven’t lived till you’ve tried to drag a 1500 pallet of beans up a 7° or so incline with a cracked and shattered sidewalk. But the owner always hooks me up and I’ll say that there’s a huge difference between fresh roasted and fresh ground South American coffee. I’m not a coffee snob but if a cup of black coffee is a bit frothy on top it’s usually a good sign.

Coffee is my drink or drug of choice. Up till about 8PM.

I may not be a coffee snob but I do have standards. I’m fine with automatic drip for the convenience since I’m usually making a full 12 cup carafe. It’s got to be a cone filter and preferably unbleached. Melita #4. The coffee maker IS my most used appliance and I’ve been using the same model Cuisenart for the last 15 years or so. They die about a year out of warranty and I keep buying them. Before that it was Braun’s which last forever.

I’m not a fan of the run of the mill stuff like Maxwell House or Folgers since they seem to lack the more winey or complex coffee taste I like. Regular Duncan’s is good but gets a bit expensive in the quantities I go through every week. I buy my coffee at Aldis since the Donut Store blend is close and a little cheaper. And they also have a pretty good selection of beans from more exotic locales like Sumatra or Nicaragua etc. They are owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe’s and the quality on most things they sell is as good or better than one might expect. I like their coffee.

Gordon Food Service or GFS has decent house brand coffee under their Mosiac brand and it comes in larger bags then normal and they always have a buy one bag get one bag 1/2 off sale going on. It’s good restaurant style coffee at good prices and the Italian Dark Roast is pretty good.

Rather humorously I normally find the best price on Melita style filters is at a Farm Supply Store I shop at. When they are in stock.
I drink enough coffee that it’s a commodity but I do like a decent cup of coffee so I’ve tried to find that sweet spot on the price value curve.

I have developed a taste for stronger brews and these days I toss in a extra scoop of coffee and my first cup of the day is a half mug of basically expresso.

I detest K cup machines and contrary to the cry of “They Make a Great Cup of Coffee” I beg to differ. Great? Never. Good? Rarely. Mediocre? Hell Yes. It’s a step above swill. But they are single use so I get it. Around here the average gas station has better coffee.

But yeah K Cups are better than that sludge in the bottom of the pot at some rural muffler shop.

Coffee is something I want to enjoy more than analyze. So I’m not looking for something truly exotic.

We do have refined tastes. We drive MN12’s ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
I do like my K-cup; but then, I usually use it to brew a single cup of DeathWish because that much caffeine causes massive headaches in the wife. SHE gets the carafe, which I drink out of past my first cup (so I can sleep at night).

She loves Maxwell House; I'm usually doing a cuppa DeathWish or Rev or some other "Extra Caffeine" coffee (as I may have noted above.)

But i agree with the "than that sludge in the bottom of the pot at some rural muffler shop".

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, you are right. It is a Mr. Coffee coffee maker. I do like using it, and I like the fact that mine has the "stop valve" so that I can pull out the pot mid-way through a brew to pour a cup of coffee if I needed to. My last coffee maker a few years ago didn't have that and I remember making a mess of things once because of it.
I also liked Mr. Coffee. Until our coffee machine of this model broke. After that, we bought a De’Longhi BCO430 on the recommendation of this site. It has a programmable timer, removable water reservoir, keep warm plate, Gold Tone filter, a milk frotner. Really worthy replacement, I like it

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
On beans/grinds:
  • Working from home, I'm still using a french press to make a cup of coffee a day.
  • I don't grind my own beans. My usual has been Cafe du Monde -> a Starbucks or Peets dark roast and then back again
  • To mix things up, I did try two new (to me) coffees:
Cafe Bustelo - apparently popular with cuban expats. Fine grind so I use less than one spoonful and don't let it steep for very long. Smells good, mild flavor. Best way to describe it: inoffensive.

I actually don't know if I've ever had maxwell house or folgers prepared in a french press.
Q: Is this stuff similar?

Once I finish this 10oz can, I plan to switch to this bag i bought on a whim:
Kicking Horse, Medium roast, Certified Organic & Fairtrade
Price is pretty damned cheap @ $4.18 for a 10oz bag. I wonder if its any good.
No roast date on the pkg but it says its best by Aug 25, 2020 so I'm assuming its either a) older stock or b) they set the best by date to be less than 1 yr from the roasting date. I'm suspecting the former but won't know until I taste the stuff.

·
Super Moderator
12,560 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I started drinking coffee after I started working , the smell on the cafeteria was overwhelming and I got hooked , many years ago I traveled to Italy and south america ,and in those places they drink very strong coffee in tiny cups that they finish in two or three sips , since then I drink three or four cups of strong coffee a day , as someone mentioned , if I don´t drink my coffee I get a headache by mid morning , I like COSTCO´s Ruanda and Sumatra whole bean blends

21 - 40 of 42 Posts