TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lookin at some coil packs and im not sure which ones to get. Ive always liked MSD and i found MSD coil packs for $70 each. Then theres some accel for 61 each, then theres the screamin demon ones off of SCP which are around 100 for both.. Price difference for each are not to bad, i was just curious which worked best with my 4.6(NPI).

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
The Accels are rated at about 10% more efficient than stock. As for the MSD and Screamin Demons, I have no idea.

I run the Accels on my car and really couldn't tell much, if any, difference over stock.

Here are the Numbers and specks for the Accels from Jegs.

• 42,000 volts
  • Direct bolt-in, plug-in replacement
  • Advanced section bobbin technology
  • Compatible with Ford EDIS and MSD or Crane DIS
  • Silicone magnetic steel core with optimized windings and resistance for higher energy output and longer dwell
  • 8% peak increase in voltage over OE
  • 9% peak increase in current over OE
  • 11% peak increase in energy over OE
  • 21% peak increase in arc duration over OE
  • Secondary towers molded in high-dielectric strength ''Accel Yellow''
http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/140018/10002/-1

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
what about performance wise?
what good would other brand coil packs be, if you may have to keep returning them/exchanging them over and over and over?? tell me what kind of performance that may be called

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have tried screaming demons and they worked ok for me...Performance increase...none noticed. No one i have ever seen proves it worthwhile to buy more expensive than stock coils. Buy new ford ones and save money for other performance stuff or good old fashioned maintenance.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
stock coil are good for the 400hp area so why upgrade when its just a waste of money

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
new stock = best choice for durability, reliability and performance.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Plain and simple....you will not see any performance gains by switching coil packs.

I tried finding an old magazine of mine (MM & FF) where they did an ignition upgrade on a 96-98 Cobra. They dynoed the car with the stock wires/packs and then switched out to Screamin Demon coil pack and live wires. After putting it back on the dyno, they picked up a wopping 1.2HP.........save your $$$ for something else.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.... prob save for PI swap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
yeah, i went w/ the MSDs on my car and didnt notice a bit of difference. however...i did notice that there is less money in my wallet after having bought them as opposed to stock replacements...bummer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use the BWD(Borg Warner) aftermarket oe replacement coil packs on my '97 and they are just as reliable as the Ford ones plus they cost less. I bought them through one of the parts stores that the shop I work for uses as the BWD rep said that BWD makes a lot of the ignition parts for the automakers and just put either Ford, Motorcraft, GM, or Mopar on it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Related questions:

1. Does anybody have experience (good or bad) with the Granatelli Pro Series coil packs? These claim to be 60,000 volts and have a lifetime warranty. $130 for a pair at Summit Racing.

2. Were any of the cars (where no improvement was noted) supercharged?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Keep in mind that a coil only works as hard as it has too. I other words, with out an increase in cylinder pressure, the stock coil packs are plenty good. A good spiro core plug wire is helpful though, less resistance than a carbon wire. Just my 2 cents

1 - 18 of 18 Posts