TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone install those msd or accel coil packs? saw them the other day in brothers performance. didnt seem like they were worth 75 bucks each but i just wondered if anyone has tried them.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
For N/A application, OEM coil packs are more than suffiecient. Spend your money elsewhere..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much? and how many miles are on them? mine are fine but they have 100k on 'em. if youve got some low mileage ones i might be interested. drop me a PM.

-josh-

·
Registered
47 Posts
ICKY!!! Stay away from the accel ones!!!! One of mine died just after a year. Started missing at first, then the #1 tower was dead. I'm back to my stocks now... what a waste of money. I wouldn't buy anything from those bozos ever again.

(I won't hold back, I'll tell you how I really feel:uppoint: )

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have a set of the MSD ones. They both have cracks in them and the car developed a miss before the engine locked up. I was in the process of tracking it down (it was intermitant) when she went south. I would stay with oem.

Chirs

·
Registered
56 Posts
i had a burnt factory pack an replaced with accel they claim 10% more output over stock and a longer duration no problems here ,on the subject though my sean hyland book says the condensor on the side of 92-98 coil packs is usually the first to go bad and will develope a miss it recommends takin them off to stop a potential problem

·
Registered
44 Posts
5.4blkbird said:
i had a burnt factory pack an replaced with accel they claim 10% more output over stock and a longer duration no problems here ,on the subject though my sean hyland book says the condensor on the side of 92-98 coil packs is usually the first to go bad and will develope a miss it recommends takin them off to stop a potential problem
Condensor?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ah, yes. The condenser. It's a fancy way of saying capacitor. It helps keep the voltage flowing to the coil towers (or points in an old points type distributor). It's the little silver thing on the side of the pack with one wire. Whe the one in my old mustang went bad, the car bould backfire, stall stumble and generaly be a pain in the ***. It was a $2 part that kept me scratching my head for days... good thing I had a neghibor who had experience with the same problem with his 67 (this was back in high school).

I'm not sure about removing the condenser tho... are you sure SHM recommend this? Not that I'm dobuting you... It just seem a little odd.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't think that has any effect on how the packs work.. the little silver cylindrical thinggie that sits on the coil pack?.. I was told by ford that it was a capacitor.. but only to help with RF interference in the electrical system .. I was told it had no bearing on coil pack performance.. only that my radio may whine or pop a bit if I took them off.. Correct me if I'm wrong though..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thumper91 said:
I don't think that has any effect on how the packs work.. the little silver cylindrical thinggie that sits on the coil pack?.. I was told by ford that it was a capacitor.. but only to help with RF interference in the electrical system .. I was told it had no bearing on coil pack performance.. only that my radio may whine or pop a bit if I took them off.. Correct me if I'm wrong though..
You are correct.

The correct term is "ballast" not condenser.

It is solely to prevent rf interference.

If you don't believe me, pull them off and turn on your radio.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
stay with the oem.

I did a search on the Accel and MSD.

bad experiences outweighed the good, and the good didn't say they had a performance increase, only that they worked.

You say they are still good, so to be safe, do the ohm check and if they pass, keep em.

my OEMs have 160k on them.

yes the "capacitors" are to prevent radio noise.

rob

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My mistake. I meant to say that most said they didn't see an improvement.

I would still keep the OEM (said they were good) and spend the money on a good set of wires and plugs.

rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
They put out 20% more voltage let's see

40,000 x 120% = 48,000 volts.

Sounds good to me, the response is better and
it is smoother at idle

Francis

·
Registered
926 Posts
Compare it to a stock distributer ignition and then see the difference in Voltage is huge, but the MSD or ACCEL Coil packs are a waist of money unless yours have Shi* the bed.
If you have an MSD Box and complete ignition system upgrade I would say it might be worth it, they might be able to handle a hotter spark.

·
Registered
44 Posts
wolfbay said:
They put out 20% more voltage let's see

40,000 x 120% = 48,000 volts.

Sounds good to me, the response is better and
it is smoother at idle

Francis
and the tornado gives me 20% better fuel mileage!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts