TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just custom installed a Cold Air Intake and was wanting to know if my Cougar is safe from water being sucked up. The filter was, as first, exposed to the wheel itself, but I put in some sheet metal to block it from water being flung from the tires. Should I also block the front bumper area where air comes in underneath?? There is a small area there that heavy rain might come up into. I'm just kinda worried about ****ing up my car. I can't afford to do that. Most people say its rare and only happens from "High" water. But whats high water? Is it a puddle? Or like up to my bumper? I've heard of Hondas and other low riding cars having some cases of that. But the MN12 sets up a few inches higher. Lemme know what yall think. Need some feedback. :leftright

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
A) What happened to your splash guard that blocks that area to begin with
B) Sure, if you want to block that off go for it, though you won't get much air if you block it all off and that is the only benefit whatsoever to sticking a cone in that god awful place.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to remove some wheel well in front of the front right tire... but not directly in front of it. Its back farther towards the engine. The backside of the cone was a little bit exposed so i wanted to make sure no water was flung onto it. A piece of wheel well HAD to be removed for the cone to fit down in there. It was a pain to stick down in there. So i improvised by sticking some sheet metal down there to cover it. im confident it will keep stuff out. Or a good majority of it.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Oh, well that explains that then...

You don't really have to worry too much unless you plan on running through water that would reach up to the filter.

You can see where my airbox feeds from in <a href="http://www.mn12tbird.com/work/cc/cc03.jpg">This pic</a> and Steve Dugan's is even lower (look at Wednesday's pic of the day)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"PreCharger/DryCharger Filter Wrap Applications

Below shows a list of applications for K&N PreCharger and DryChargers by part number.
K&N DryChargers are similar to PreChargers except they have been pre-treated to repel water.
All measurements are in inches."

http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htm

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
MagerThom said:
"PreCharger/DryCharger Filter Wrap Applications
I wonder how much airflow you block with those. hmm... What's an English translation of marketing speak "Minimal"

·
Registered
210 Posts
It would take a puddle about a 1' deep, and at that your enginewould probably stall.
Now if you try and start it again then you would suck the water up in the intake!
My wife knows this from her personal experience! :boom:she let some monkey try try and jump my car and thats when the motor locked up!.....Oh well now I'm installing a 2002 GT motor :zdevil:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Regarding anyone with concerns to drawing in water into there intake.

there is a company called AEM that makes a special blow by for intakes.

A year a go the company came out with this and works great. yes it is a import site but they do have the valve that fits any car. simple mod very effective!

My suggestion is to get one then place it inline before your box this way when getting into a puddle the water stops at the blow by and saves yoru engine.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I know all about hydrolocking engines. It really sucks and when that rod breaks it is the worst sound you will ever hear. I had removed the air silencer and had replaced it with PVC pip witht he inlet down in the foglight hole. My car is also lowered with Eibach's. Raining hard, got a big puddle, killed the engine. The only way to get the water out of the intake when this happens is to take the intake off, a lot of water can build up in them. The stream of water that poured out of the intake when we took it off was impressive.

AFter that i shortened up the PVC and now I replaced the air box with a GT one.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i may go for that K & N Precharger thingy. It may restrict "minimal" flow but it looks like a easy slip on... so i could slip it on in wet conditions. It says it catches small dust particles. I guess it will catch water too.... I hopt :eek: . As for the AEM valve mod... I looked at that but dont know where the heck it goes in. Does it install between the MAF and intake piping? Or further down the pipe or up? It looks cool though. That K & N precharger is only 15.00 bucks though. Dunno how much that AEM thing is :confused: .

·
Registered
267 Posts
yeah i had no choice but to nail a small lake in the road during last night's downpour. stalled out and rolled into a parking lot where i only tried to fire it back up once and it knocked like a sob. i towed it the mile remaining on my trip home, took all the plugs out and the plastic intake crap off and im pretty sure i got all the water out but its still knocking... not nearly as bad but its not healthy. do i need to remove the aluminum intake too? did i bend the rods and/or screw up the valves? anything else i can do that i missed.... if not, will a 260 horse mustang version fit right in? (electrical and stuff)

4 Cam Bird said:
I know all about hydrolocking engines. It really sucks and when that rod breaks it is the worst sound you will ever hear. I had removed the air silencer and had replaced it with PVC pip witht he inlet down in the foglight hole. My car is also lowered with Eibach's. Raining hard, got a big puddle, killed the engine. The only way to get the water out of the intake when this happens is to take the intake off, a lot of water can build up in them. The stream of water that poured out of the intake when we took it off was impressive.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
should i worry about the mac on my stock height car?

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
jk89cat said:
should i worry about the mac on my stock height car?
i wouldnt worry about it. i got the densecharger on my stock hieght car and have no issues. just take it easy through really deep puddles.

Frank

·
Registered
563 Posts
Diesel?

I heard from my auto mechanic teacher that diesel, when a small amount is cranked through a motor, it will soak up a good amount of moisture. You do this of course with your spark plugs and oil drain plug out, run small amount (2-3 qts) through your cylinders and through the valve cover also. Can anyone verify this? Do not hold me responsible for this information, it is just a little tip i heard once

1 - 14 of 14 Posts