TCCoA Forums banner

Cold Air Intake Kit

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  espicer 
#1 ·
I know this has been posted a lot before, but I am lookin for a Cold Air System, which comes with a pipe that connects to the throttle body and a conical filter. Do they make any kits like that for our cars.

Thanks

#2 ·
"They" meaning some company I don't believe make them for the 3.8. However a few people have made their own using 3" mandrel bent tubing, Jim Tumminilli (did I spell that right?) and Eric Spicer come to mind.

Joe

#3 ·
For a cold air system your best bet would be just to route some pvc piping down through the hole where the air box use to be and put a cone filter in the fender wall. We wont benifit from intake tubes as much as the 4.6 guys do because their "violin case" intake colapses under heat. The only way you would really feel improvement frome a bigger intake tube is if you match it with a bigger MAF, throttle body, and port out the manifolds. By this time you oped up your intake so big that you would have lost a lot of low end torque. Yes you will gain hp but it is on the high end. The torque you lost will make your car feel slower in acceleration. Just ask some of the V8 guys that bought bigger MAF and throttle bodies. You my advice to you is to put a cone filter in the fender, and save the money on the intake tube for somthing of a more significant gain, such as gears.

Jim

#4 ·
So basically your saying that for the 3.8, it's just as better to replace the air box with PVC pipe and cone filter over replacing that AND the tube from the MAF and throttle body.

Ashish - what year is your 3.8? The 89-91 V6's had smaller MAF's. I plan to switch my 55mm MAF to a 70mm when I upgrade my intake. I don't plan to put too much money into my engine quite yet, but I do want to help it out and get a bit more power out of it. Small stuff like bigger MAF and bigger throttle body may be something to consider while in the process of doing the Cold Air Intake.

-Andy "Melon"

#5 ·
Andy,

Everything I've read and been told is to avoid PVC for the intake tubes. Heat isn't good with the plastic.

A larger MAF is good, a 70mm is probably as big as you want to go. You'll probably get more out of a half shafted and polished TB than opting for the larger one. RancherLee is putting out good power now with the P+P heads and manifolds. I'll be doing this swap sometime next year or if I hit the lottery some time soon! :p

Joe

#6 ·
I try to keep the engine stuff I do to my car fairly simple since I don't have the 'know-how' nor the time to sit down and do it since I'm either at work or school. Unless it's summer - then it's too damn warm outside for me to go out and mess around in the garage.

Besides - college takes most of my money so it usually takes me a while to save for big mods. That's why I plan to get the bigger MAF, maybe do something with my throttle body, cold air intake, then MAYBE a chip. The chip is last on my list since I'm still thinking about that one. Don't want to put too much money into my engine since I plan to swap engines. Either 3.8SC or V8 - have to wait and see how the funds are and how long my current engine/tranny lasts me.

-Andy "Melon"

#7 ·
Melon said:
The 89-91 V6's had smaller MAF's.
Um... the 89-91 N/A V6's MAF is so small that it doesn't exist! As far as I know, the '89-91 cars are speed density and don't use a MAF sensor. I know my '90 doesn't have one.

#8 ·
www.geocities.com/coldairintake38 check it out...i currently have one available with a kn cone but supposedly its for sale...(david porter????) if your interested let me know

#10 ·
cool...if anyone else is also interested...let me know

#11 ·
Andy
Yes the best bang for the buck is the pvc and the cone filter.

Joe,
On my brothers 97 3.8 there is a plastic cover over th throttle cables on the throttle body, that doesn't melt. The air box itsef is plastic, this doesn't melt. Look at most new cars, noteably the new t-birds, corvettes, impalas and such. They all have plastic covers right over the engine and these dont melt. Under the upperintake, the fuel rail harness wires are wraped in plastic tubing and this doesn't melt. So I don't believe you will have any problems with pvc.

Jim

#12 ·
PVC

Here's the site for making a cold air induction. It probably wouldn't hurt, not sure if it will help though, to paint the PVC pipe with engine enamel. You can get a can of 500*-1200* enamel for like $4 or $5, plus it'll look better than the PVC color.:D
I'm planning on doing this too. Why not? It'll look cool anyways.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/93cougarxr7se

#13 ·
Jim,

I have a 97 also, so I know there's a ton of plastic under there. But there's something about the PVC that's not recommended for high heat. Go for it, see what happens. I'm just going by what has been told to me.

Joe

#14 ·
cool...if anyone else is also interested...let me know
Jim I am interested, also what will be the shipping for it in Florida and is there a limited quantity available.

#15 ·
are you referring to me Jim???

#16 ·
yes

#19 ·
you are...i will make another one for the other guy...

#20 ·
#22 ·
JSGAuto said:

On my brothers 97 3.8 there is a plastic cover over th throttle cables on the throttle body, that doesn't melt. The air box itsef is plastic, this doesn't melt. Look at most new cars, noteably the new t-birds, corvettes, impalas and such. They all have plastic covers right over the engine and these dont melt. Under the upperintake, the fuel rail harness wires are wraped in plastic tubing and this doesn't melt. So I don't believe you will have any problems with pvc.

Jim

ABS Plastic and PVC are not the same thing. There are many "plastics" out there. Schedule 40 PVC (white) is rated for 140 deg F, no more. Schedule 80 PVC (grey) is rated a bit higher - around 160 to 180 deg F. It gets hotter than that under your hood. ABS plastic can be made to withstand higher temperatures by adding carbon. For example: My 3.8 has ABS plastic valve covers.

On the other hand, PVC is so cheap, I suppose you could try it if you're carefull. It won't burn (unless it melts onto the exhaust manifold), it will just collapse eventually. Also you may want to check into CPVC, it's rated to 212 deg F.

#23 ·
Cold air intake

DO NOT use PVC pipe to make the intake piping. As cmd146 said PCV piping is not the same as ABS plastic. With PVC pipe you run the very real risk that it will melt and release TOXIC FUMES when exposed to under hood temperatures. Plus the ID (inner dimension) of PVC piping is much smaller than 2.5" and/or 3", depending on which you want to use, because the PVC piping is very thick.

Most aftermarket cold air intakes like Iceman and/or AEM systems (just a few examples), often used on ricers, are made of thermoplastic, which is a special plastic formulated to take heat. PVC piping is not rated the same as thermoplastic! But if you want to use it have at it!

I made my own cold air intake system with a piece of aluminum mandrel bend 3" pipe from JCWhitney (the u bend). I painted both the inside and outside of the pipe with high heat ceramic paint (aluminum colour).

P.S. If you install the conical filter behind the fender skirt be prepare to frequently and often, clean debris, dirt and junk from it. Just my 2 cents!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.