TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see recommendations for a MAC cold air intake and I was wondering if I have to change the maf too? I hate looking at that junk rubber cold air intake and that choking box with it's tiny baffled inlet ! lol I'd like to let the bird breathe !

I'm not looking for massive improvements and anything that would throw up a CEL just whatever it would give me with a little more throaty sound & whatever performance it would give "if any" would be a plus. I'd also take some recommendations on an exhaust setup " without changing or removing the cat's" that will give me the V8 sound without making it sound super loud or like a truck.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
No, the MAF shouldn't be changed until you are ready to do so. You can't just throw a bigger MAF in there and expect it to work better. You pretty much have to have a chip you can tune in order to make that work.

I'm going to assume that you have a 94/5 and still have the 'violin case'. It's an easy fix to swap it out with a strait hose. I did a write up on how I achieved this but I think you'll have to search for it in the newbie section. Of course there's nothing wrong with a MAC intake if you have the cash. Of course if you have a 96/7 then it's an even easier fix. In either case just be sure to remove the air silencer first if you haven't already. Changing out the duct work is not going to throw a CEL as long as you do it right and reset the PCM.

You'd get a little more sound but nothing much worth bragging about.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for throwing it all together I meant what exhaust setup would give it a better sound but not too loud. Can you easily fit a true dual exhaust up under there? It looked tight to me.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I haven't personally gotten a set yet, but lots of ppl on here have. They used to have some issues with the O2 bungs, but they've since worked that out and got rid of that problem.

If you search around, there are pictures of the systems on this forum, I don't have the links handy, sorry. There is also lots of discussion and threads on those systems.

Bottom Line: Everyone loves them :)

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Remove the air silencer, leave the stock box and tube, and BAM! Cold air intake. That's all you need.
You can leave the air silencer - it's still a CAI either way. It just sounds better without the silencer :D

Second note: Remember that K&N filters, by themselves, are crap at filtering. They rely on the oil to actually catch the dust and what not. Be better to find a nice low-restriction paper filter to go in there, and leave the box.

Helps when you get someone checking your emissions setup, since it's usually illegal to alter the air intake due to the emissions concerns (even if it makes it cleaner, and improves gas mileage, it's illegal. Figure that out.)

RwP

·
Registered
219 Posts
read somewhere that the wix , which is what i'm using in my 95 , flowed within 2% of the k&n and is a dry filter i.e no oil to contaminate things !!!!!!!! i ended up cutting the bottom of my violin case and fitting a filler panel between the intake tube and the second chamber just to in my mind , force all the available air to go where it needed to be not bouncing around in a secondary chamber . i use the oe box and tube too. made a home made cai and it leaked , and gave me some headaches so i went and done what i've stated as johnny langton told me that the violin case wasn't as bad as most made it out to bee on a basically stock 4.6 . and no it doesn't leak { used an epoxy to fill the crack in after getting the plate to fit snugly } and sanded and threw some cheapo paint on it even though it couldn't be seen . silencer delete too .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts