TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive recieved my 92 octane tune from lonnie...i just read thru another post that i should be running a 180 degree thermostat now...is this true?...ill be talking with lonnie tommorow anyway, but i wanted to hear from you guys...my other mods are in my sig....thanks.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Anytime you're increasing spark timing it is a good idea to have a cooler engine temperature. I think a 180 degree t-stat is a good idea no matter what.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
yep... I have a 160 thermastat at home. I swapped it out for a 180. If he didn't tune for the t-stat though the fan will come on like stock so... when stopped it will still get hot but when cruising you'll be fine.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hhmmm...well im running the chip...and lonnie only gave me the basic tune....although it seems to me that the fan comes on a little more often now...ive spoken to him quite a bit on the tune ive recieved...he never spoke of needing a cooler t-stat....would'nt the fan comming on more often compensate for the timing advance with my 195 stat?.

·
5,650 Posts
It's very common for the tune to require both a 180* t-stat and colder plugs as these will help maximize the potential to make power, especially with the timing advanced and running higher octane fuel. Since Lonnie sells only the 180* t-stat on his site, it might be safe to assume that he tunes for that, but verify with him first. The fans coming on more further supports the idea that the tune is set up for a colder t-stat. It won't hurt the engine to run with the 195* t-stat, but if the tune is set up for something cooler you will lose a little power and run the cooling fans more than you need to.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok...talked with lonnie....he advised me to go with the 180 stat...and that my fan has already been adjusted in my tune to run the 180..ill be installing it tonight....he also advised colder plugs...now i like autolite...im currently running the autolite platinums (ap764)....lonnie told me to run the colder autolite 103's....well, after buying them i removed the ap764 plugs from my car to find the 103 platinums have twice the thread as my current platinums...what the hell?...do i REALLY need to run a colder plug with a 92 octane tune anyways?...id rather not change my current plugs, they are only a few months old.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
ok...talked with lonnie....he advised me to go with the 180 stat...and that my fan has already been adjusted in my tune to run the 180..ill be installing it tonight....he also advised colder plugs...now i like autolite...im currently running the autolite platinums (ap764)....lonnie told me to run the colder autolite 103's....well, after buying them i removed the ap764 plugs from my car to find the 103 platinums have twice the thread as my current platinums...what the hell?...do i REALLY need to run a colder plug with a 92 octane tune anyways?...id rather not change my current plugs, they are only a few months old.
103 plugs in copper will cost less than 11$ for a set, yes use them. Stop questioning all of your info, the only person you will confuse is yourself. Dont bother with platinums. If you need the 180 tstat, just go to the dealership and get a thermostat for a Lightning.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well ive already bought the 180 stat and 103 (platinum) today...after searching for a bit(good ol search button) i found that the autolite 103's are what people have been using for a one step colder plug(you had actually answered people in thoes posts)...the longer threads on the 103's threw me off is all...i wasnt questioning, just making sure...and i ran 104 coppers in my focus with a .060 gap...at this point id rather have the longevity of the platinums over the stronger spark of the coppers...but thats just me.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweeeet!....got the 103's in(gapped at .054) with the 180 stat...works great with the tune...what little detonatoion i had(even with the 92 oct fuel) is completely gone...my car runs alot cooler now....im used to easily swapping plugs on 4 bangers...it was actually a breeze changing the plugs on this car...the plugs on my old 95 gt stang and 90 corvette were a ***** to swap out...im starting to dig these cars more and more.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol...yup, after all my trial and error with this car i'll be ASE certified before long....sheesh!....and thanks btw sik.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts