TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many students buy and then flip their books on ebay or amazon?

As this semester winds down I am getting ready to sell my books to try and recoupe some of the 300 bucks I spent on ebay back in September.

I was jsut curious who else does this, and who actually still buys college books at the bookstore for those unreal prices.

Prime example was a math book I needed; It was 97.99 in the school bookstore. I got it off amazon for 18 bucks shipped.

Another was a hardcover environmental science book; it was 108 + in the bookstore. I got a paperback international version on ebay for 45 bucks shipped. Same damn book, just 60 bucks cheaper.

Just bored and thinking.....Next week is finals week, trying to get all my late work in for evaluation into my grade.

13 days and a wake up.....

-Dave

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
I buy and sell mine at textbookx.com.

Though I won't have to worry about that anymore, since I'm graduating in 9 days! :D

-Rod

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Ha when I was in college I used to xerox my textbooks

I worked in a bank (they also paid for school)

everyday I would do a certain number of pages

then return the book get full price for it :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
i've bought about 24 books so far, and have kept about 20 of them. I now have 6 'biology' books, each very much like the others but they have there suttle differences.

i feel for you guys with the trying to return books and there's already a new editon, don't blame the bookstore or the school, it's them greedy publishers :D

buying books online never really seems to work well with my school, we have 10 week terms, usually don't know what books you need till the first week, and if you don't have the text by the end of week one, well your preety much screwed.

the absolute worse is having to pay $80+ for a book that is less then 200 pages and is Softbound!

congrads on graduating rod!

·
Registered
248 Posts
My schools rents most of the books that you need. So i have only had to buy one or two, so far. I guess i'm lucky.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I bought a brand new one from the campus bookstore this semester. It was a new edition so I couldnt find a used one and prices on ebay, amazon, etc were about the same after shipping. So I bought the friggin thing for $1xx and their using a new edition now :mad: I usually email my professor for a syllabus as soon as I sign up for the class so I can start looking for a deal on a book.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I buy most online and then usually sell the books I don't want to keep on Half.com. I usually get what I paid for them, so it works out well. Buying them at the University just gets plain expensive, then they only give like 30% of what you paid at buyback.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My Auto books I'm keeping. My math book was 10 bucks and I'll probably leave it somewhere for somebody since it's pretty beat up. My english book was a previous edition which I payed $6 for to have shipped, so I'll probably leave that around too.

I figure I'll never use them again, maybe I'll try to get like $10-$15 each for them...

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
i found textbooks from when i went to University of Akron that i need to unload. 1 calc book, 1 chem book, and 3 english books.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I used to buy them at the book store used. Then in the beginning of next semester you just go to the book store when everyone else is in line buy books and sell it to someone online. So say I bought a used book for $115 and it normally cost $150 new. Most times for me the book was in use for a while so it would still be around the same price new and used in the book store the next semester. I would sell it for $100 so the person in line saves $15 and I only lost $15. I only was able to do that with about 5 of them. The rest you try ebay I guess.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I sell mine on textbookx.com if I can. Get more money and save someone else more money. Brother sold a few on there.

Bought some books with A+ that were gonna be $170, and they wanted to pay me like $40 to buy them back, F that! Should've done that, friend accidently sold them at a garage sale for 25 cents each. You have no idea how angry I was... At least I didn't pay for them to begin with.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Sold my $110 worth of books back to the bookstore today for $70. I got ripped off, but it's hard to turn down instant cash when payday is still a week away.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Ripped off? That's a good price! Making more than 50% back is unheard of for book stores.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Do websites like half.com and textbookx allow marked books to be sold?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts