TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
And drain the torque converter during the fluid change. A full fluid change is 12 qts total.

Al

Reactions: 1997ThunderbirdLXV6

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I've gotten several different brands. Motorcraft oil was the same price as the others when I got it, not twice as much, lol! Try Amazon.

Al

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I didn't care for the Dorman pan. I looked at it at Advance, and walked out without it. The sealing lip didn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Might be fine, but I didn't want to chance it.

I would try to change all the fluid at once. Doing a little at a time, you will end up throwing away a lot of your new fluid, would take 20+ quarts. If you can get under the car and drop the pan, you can also drain the torque converter. Job done.

Don't forget the filter, and either re-use the stock gasket or buy another Ford gasket. Those thin rubber ones that come with the filter aren't any good.

Al

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
It was pretty thick, but the sealing lip looked wavy in the corners, not flat. It's been several years.

Al

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
12 is usually enough. When the valve body is removed, then you need that 13th quart.

What draining the system from the cooler line does, is keep you from making a mess when removing the pan, it is mostly dry. But you do have to rig up a fitting and hose for the radiator, and run the car for 30 seconds.

Al

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
30 seconds should be safe. You don't want it pumping air.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts