TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to track down the leak i found the other day, and I'm not sure if i am leaking trans fluid or power steering fluid--i checked both, and they are both red and both look exactly the same...is power steering fluid supposed to be red? Whatever it is in the p/s resavour looks just like trans flud...so, what should it look like? thanks

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Power steering fluid is supposed to be clear. Transmission fluid works in power steering systems and is much cheaper so you will often find trans fluid in there.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power steering fluid is supposed to be clear. Transmission fluid works in power steering systems and is much cheaper so you will often find trans fluid in there.
Does it hurt anything to run trans fluid in place of power steering? Is this an issue where the trans fluid could have ate away at some seals....?

UPDATE....I did some research on this and it seems like it's not a problem from what I am reading....just need find the (small) leak

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Does it hurt anything to run trans fluid in place of power steering? Is this an issue where the trans fluid could have ate away at some seals....?

UPDATE....I did some research on this and it seems like it's not a problem from what I am reading....just need find the (small) leak
I've heard that, but some FACTORY car manuals state to use ATF for power steering fluid, so I would guess it's fairly safe even if it's not "perfectly" formulated for the application.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I only use Mercon III in PS systems. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I found a TSB at school that said any PS systems that used Mecron R should start using Mecron V. Just changed out my pump, pulley, return and high pressure lines and now im using Mecron V (Used regular Prestone power steering fluid before). The squealing has come to an end and i have noticed an improvement. If your having a leak i would check the seals on the rack, thats where mine was leaking the first time :(

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a TSB at school that said any PS systems that used Mecron R should start using Mecron V. Just changed out my pump, pulley, return and high pressure lines and now im using Mecron V (Used regular Prestone power steering fluid before). The squealing has come to an end and i have noticed an improvement. If your having a leak i would check the seals on the rack, thats where mine was leaking the first time :(
what did you have to do to repair the leaking seals on the rack?

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
You know it's bad when pulling the engine is the EASY way, lol.

:D

(No, you don't have to. If you have really small hands...)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm....recently I have this "whooshing" sound when turning the wheel, sounds like it's coming from inside the column...just started doing that recently too...related to these issues?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If its a small leak from a seal I suggest changing your fluid with either type F trans fluid (95 and older) or Mercon/Mercon V(96+) and adding Lucas Power steering additive. Lucas will also recondition all the other seals too. I've used it many times and it is a very good product. Once I had a tiny rust hole in a line and I was able to drive home. It is not designed for that though, but it thickened the fluid a bit.

I don't think its worth changing a rack on a 15 yo car if something can recondition the seals. They will actually give you your money back if they product does not do the job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suggest you don't use Mec V on something that is already leaking as it has synthetic additives that will remove deposits in the power-steering system which are probably helping to keep the system sealed up. I suggest dex/mec III with the lucas either trans or power-steering additive. If you need a new rack then good luck and be thankful its not an SC!!! It is more likely a hose leaking you can check the rack by punching a small hole in the bottom of the bellow boots to see if any fluid is leaking out the end seals.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
hmmm....recently I have this "whooshing" sound when turning the wheel, sounds like it's coming from inside the column...just started doing that recently too...related to these issues?
I have hear d a comment from my roommate that I have a "whooshing noise" when he turns the wheel. Is this time for a new rack? I have it under warranty at autozone? I am currently using mercon V as power steering fluid but its nearly all new system anyway. Is this a problem? I am reading mercon III or type F as better suited and cheaper as well.

THe reason I read to use trans oil as power steering fluid is its just nice how it doesnt eat paint. I also dont remember what thread got me on that kick anyway but I read it here.

Is it critical to run real power steering fluid using autozones pump and rack? Btw mine doesn't leak a drop it has no fluid leaks. But since I'm putting the car up on stands might as well redo the pump and rack while IM there and I can get them for free.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, this is strange...almost two years later...my car does not leak a drop of anything, and I honestly for the life of me, cannot remember what was leaking, where the leak was coming from, weather or not/how I fixed it. Strange.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts