TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an idea last night (I know it's scary). After having to take the column out of the 95 cougar when I replaced the heater core, I noticed that it had the bearing cutouts and other related mounting hardware there. I went out to my dad's 95 f150 and did some rough measurement and guess what, It's the same. I am going to find a good column and shifter cable out of a CV or GM, transfer steering wheel, clockspring, ignition switch and lock cylinder and see if it can be done. I am pretty sure it can, I just need some ideas on how to fill the hole in the center console. I am thinking of some sort of dual cupholder or something practial like that. I have the shifter indicator redo figured out, it's just that I haven't gone and bought a few sheets of aceatate (sp?) and actually print out what I want. Anyway, what are your ideas on this?

Joe

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
hmmm....make sure the shifter won't hit the dash....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am thinking more like a late model ranger/explorer because of the way that the shifter handle is bent

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
OK, I have to ask. Even if it can be done, why do you want to?

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,165 Posts
im just curious as to why you want to do this? although you certainly could make the worlds largest cupholder right in the middle of the center console, thats for sure.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
:confused: Why do you want a column shifter? In my opinion, those are for trucks and old peeps cars, lol. :D

Although, now you have a ton of space to do whatever you want in the console.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
hotbird said:
:confused: those are for trucks and old peeps cars, lol. :D

Well back in the day I had a Maveric Grabber with a Boss 302 and 3 on the tree....but since I said back in the day I guess old peeps qualifies ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well after having a talk w/spouse, I decided not to do it, but I'd want it b/c it would be the only one out there with it. Individuality I guess
However, I will be putting a leather boot on the shifter and create my own electronic shifter position indicator for peanuts :) My indicator now is severly scratched and too much stuff congerates there like lighters, pencils, pens, remote for radio, among other things

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
rayner601 said:
....However, I will be putting a leather boot on the shifter and create my own electronic shifter position indicator for peanuts :) .......
Now that I'd be interested in seeing! :D

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
meh. i have a boot on there.. a shift indicator isnt that necessary. would be cool.. but the only complaint i have with the shift boot is that crumbs and stuff get donw on there... i just vaccuum it out opnce in a while and its good as new.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i agree the ranger/exploer parts will yeild more room, you would have to use those coulmn covers as well, personally i dont think there is room for this, especially behind the dash on the upper column

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
^^^ It's moot. The wife put the kabash on it and I don't think anyone else actually wants an MN12 with column shift. She probably looked at him like he's from another planet when he revealed what he was up to. Your going to what!? :rofl:

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
timb said:
Well back in the day I had a Maveric Grabber with a Boss 302 and 3 on the tree....but since I said back in the day I guess old peeps qualifies ;)
bah! you are 6 years younger than my mom.......

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
sure joe go ahead make him feel old . besides i converted my 64 galaxie from a column shift to a floor shift

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Traveler said:
Now that I'd be interested in seeing! :D
I haven't gotten all the details worked out, but I do have some of it. At the shifter, I am going to have to have a photocell array (one pc at each shifter position) on a bracket and a flag on the shifter lock mechanasim. That will turn on an led for each position. The led array is going above the temp gage. Will post pics when I get more of it done

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
jk89cat said:
sure joe go ahead make him feel old . besides i converted my 64 galaxie from a column shift to a floor shift

I converted that one as well:D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I had a 70 Maverick and converted my 3 on the tree to 3 on the floor.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
V8Cougar said:
Thats a wild idea, be interesting to see if anyone actually did it. I was always partial to column shifters.
heh, my first car was a 3 on the tree....64 Fairlane..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts