TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a plan (Sort of), but I wanted to know what all of you guys think about this setup. I have a 95 LX and I wanted to give it a little spark, but I can't afford to go sc'd. What do you guys think of my planned NA setup and do you see any problems I may run into? God I rely on you guys too much for info.... :)

95 block
96 heads (P&P'd with PI cams, 3 angle valve job, yada, yada...)
96 Mustang intake (Aluminum crossover)
99+ Cobra pistons (3cc dish vs 9 cc stock)(Producing 10.5:1 CR)
Stock crank
J-Mod tranny
Kooks headers (Hopefully)
Eaton Trac-Loc (3.73's)
180 degree tstat
CAI (Not sure what type or brand)
02 GT Maf
75mm TB
Mk8 TC

And a Reinhart chip to bring it all together!!

On a side note, yes I know I should go with a better intake, but I absolutely refuse to EVER pay that much for an intake. Let me know what you guys think. You guys know this stuff alot better than me so I rely on your advice alot. If you guys have any better ideas, let me know. So far I have only purchased the Heads and the intake, so I am not out any money yet
:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MadRussian said:
You can't afford an SC but you can afford all this?

-Andrey
The cost of what I am planning is affordable, the cost of all that AND a SC is out of the question. You have no idea of the hell I go through with the wife with just this plan. Add another 3 grand to that and she will de-nutt me in my sleep.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Pappy -

I think you have a really sensible plan and I think you'll be happy with
the outcome.

With the obvious thought behind your list I'd assume you are well aware
of the following, but I have to throw it in anyway (we all have our own
wish lists ;) ):

One of the hottest engines on this site (that you rarely hear about) used
a truck crank in its rebuild, lots cheaper than the Cobra of course, and not
that expensive (the truck crank, that is).

With some luck you should be able to be able to pick up forged rods and
pistons for around $800.00 on ebay....maybe you already know that.

And as it appears you're doing a complete reassembly.....how 'bout a
balance job....or had you already figured on that?

Only reason I mention the forged parts is it takes that engine and all
your work and other expense to a whole other level of value and potential
power choices.....but then again, I'd guess you know that too.

Just had to throw in my .02.....good luck with whatever you finally decide!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aaron K. said:
Looks like a good mid to low 14 second setup, especially if your getting the Renegade P&P job.
Unfortunately they arent renegades, but the shop that did them did a great job!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MagerThom said:

One of the hottest engines on this site (that you rarely hear about) used
a truck crank in its rebuild, lots cheaper than the Cobra of course, and not
that expensive (the truck crank, that is).]

Do you know what year and make of truck? I would have never thought of a Truck crank...

MagerThom said:

With some luck you should be able to be able to pick up forged rods and
pistons for around $800.00 on ebay....maybe you already know that.]

Yeah I noticed quite a few sets there and mentioned it once before and a couple people here told me that Cobra pistons would be cheaper and better for what I wanted to accomplish. Do you think that is inaccurate? Do you think I am better off spending the cash on forged?

MagerThom said:

And as it appears you're doing a complete reassembly.....how 'bout a
balance job....or had you already figured on that?]
Yes, I plan to take my block into the local speedshop for the works. There is a speedshop called Smokeys in Oceanside everyone recommends but I am open to other suggestions if anyone knows places in Southern CA??

MagerThom said:

Only reason I mention the forged parts is it takes that engine and all
your work and other expense to a whole other level of value and potential
power choices.....but then again, I'd guess you know that too. ]

What kind of Power choices?? Just SC?? or would I need all forged for a shot of NoS too??

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
with what ur planing on doing you will be in the mid to low 14's you will like the power tho but once you get use to it you will ask for more , might as well get forged rods and pistons , it will be worth it and you can spray and make cheap power and you wont break the forged pistons or bend the forged rods , i know you dont want to pull that engine out and do the rods and pistons again so might as well save and do it a little later but you know better , you can spray with the combo you are talking about but it would be better if you get forged , but with the plan you got i know where you will stand and how quick you will be and once you get in this game i can tell you do it right the first time , just take your time .

Jurgen

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will I be able to throw NoS on it with that high of a CR tho even forged? And if for some weird odd reason my wife buys me a SC for Xmas, I would have to change the pistons anyway to lower the CR right?

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Pappy said:
Will I be able to throw NoS on it with that high of a CR tho even forged? And if for some weird odd reason my wife buys me a SC for Xmas, I would have to change the pistons anyway to lower the CR right?
with forged and high c/r no big deal nitros likes that , now if you have a high c/r engine and its forged you can run a s/c just low psi like a 6psi or whatever to be safe but its better to have a 8.5-9.0 :1 c/r if you are going to get a blower so you can run more pounds of boost.

Jurgen

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Go with the lower CR as a compromise if you go forged...it'll still run pretty strong NA.....
just one opinion....but it's been done many times before that way......

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Pappy -

You got mail.....

·
Registered
803 Posts
I say that motor would be able to get you into the 13s with good air.
If you go forged and take it to 10:1 I see no reason you couldn't run a low boost setup later.
My low compression blower motor has gotten me 14.40s consistently and that was prior to a retune. IE too lean down low and way rich up top.
It would run close to 14 flat now with good air. And I could theoretically slap a Vortech on again and do 12s all day long.

rm

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Pappy said:

Yes, I plan to take my block into the local speedshop for the works. There is a speedshop called Smokeys in Oceanside everyone recommends but I am open to other suggestions if anyone knows places in Southern CA??

Alright. Another SoCal MN12er. You'll have to let me know how well Smokey's does on your engine. If they're reasonably priced, I might just have to take my engine build to them for the blueprinting and balancing.

Mike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts