TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted in the Newbie section. Bought an 89 XR-7 Cat yesterday, with 5 speed. Shows 65K actual miles but has not run in two years. I tried to start it this afternoon with not so much as an attempt to fire. Even sprayed some Berryman's into it, without a sign of life.

So, are there some common things to look for that cause a lack of fire?

There are no signs of rodents under the hood at all. Everything looks intact and in original condition. Motor turned over with no hesitation, just no fire.

I am not a mechanic but not a total dummy either, so if anyone can point me in the best direction of what to try first, I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would start checking fuses, relays, etc because it's obvious that there isn't any power going to the ignition system. I would also then verify power (or lack of) at the coil, and work upstream until you find the item that isn't letting power through.

I hate electrical problems. Simple things often mask themselves as bigger problems. One thing I have found out over time is that corrosion is usually the culprit. Check all of the grounding points and connectors and make sure they are not corroded, it doesn't take much to cause problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts