TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Those That Have Installed And Used The Comp Cams Sohc Cams For The 4.6,i Have Heard Of Some Kinda 6* Advance Put On The Cams
Pros And Cons On This?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
off the shelf, Comp puts a 6 degree advance into the cams. you can order the cams without the advance.....there is no extra charge for doing so....I run 262AH's in my exploder motor with a tune from Lonnie. After about 700 miles or run time, the keyway on the cam barrel stress fractured, ripped the key from the sprocket and sent my valves into the pistons.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
off the shelf, Comp puts a 6 degree advance into the cams. you can order the cams without the advance.....there is no extra charge for doing so....I run 262AH's in my exploder motor with a tune from Lonnie. After about 700 miles or run time, the keyway on the cam barrel stress fractured, ripped the key from the sprocket and sent my valves into the pistons.
Ouch!!! Did yours have the 6*? Why do you think that happened? I have the same cams.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
awdRocks said:
Ouch!!! Did yours have the 6*? Why do you think that happened? I have the same cams.
mine did have the advance. It happened because Comp makes an occasional ****ty product and the cam barrel was most likely out of rockwell harndess spec. Comp told me that the groove for the keyway "was within spec" but refused to do a rockwell test, sent me a new set of cams and said "tough ****" on the motor. I had to buy another motor partly because my oil pan was full of metal shavings, the valveguides and valves were FUBAR, and the pistons took a hit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts