• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to either get comp cams or c&l with a 75mm tbody
now i have Pi cams on my ported heads and a 70mm truck tbody on my ported upper i am not sure what to get first what you guys think ?i dont want to stress the stock bottom end .

Jurgen

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
weswing04 said:
I think you'd get more of a gain with the cams...
i know that but the upper and tbody is easyer to bolt on and i dont feel like doing a cam swap i can but i think i will stress the bottom end alot so i might wait for the comp cams until i get a forged bottom end i will gain some power from the PI intake and the upper so i should be in the 13's for sure and that should be good for N/a until i do the bottom .

Jurgen

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
i know that but the upper and tbody is easyer to bolt on and i dont feel like doing a cam swap
Then why did you put up a poll if you already had your mind made up? By the way I would second the cams.

Russell

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
96bird said:

Then why did you put up a poll if you already had your mind made up? By the way I would second the cams.

Russell
i asked for opinions i didt ask for people to get smart with me ok i was expecting for some people that might have gots the upper and the tbody to say something i know what will give me more gain and what wont and what requires more work and what doest .i didt say that i had my mind made up i just though i should go with the upper since i dont have a good upper plentum and tbody . becouse if you see my hp it goes flat after 4k so by going with the upper and the tbody that will help some along with the Pi intake i have .do you have any other questions now ?
the C&L and 75MM Tbody its on its way now

Jurgen

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I think you should get a K&N filter and call it a day... :D

Comp cams are pulling some nice numbers out of these 4.6's... but I'd probably opt for the plenum and TB, since that will only help with the cams once you get them...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Jurgen said:
i asked for opinions i didt ask for people to get smart with me

I wasn't trying to get smart with you I was just asking a question.

ok i was expecting for some people that might have gots the upper and the tbody to say something

Why didn't you just ask that then?

becouse if you see my hp it goes flat after 4k so by going with the upper and the tbody that will help some along with the Pi intake i have .

The cams will help with that as well as the PI intake. The TB and upper plenum will not help that much until you increase airflow through the other restrictions. You won't see any appreciable gains from bolt-ons without the increased airflow of the heads(your ported heads help and cams would too), and intake.

do you have any other questions now ?

I always have questions.

the C&L and 75MM Tbody its on its way now

That's cool its your money. Its all in an effort to be faster.:)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If you want the 13's now get the cams. Your stock bottom will be fine with a safe tune and you should run high 13's if you've got the other bolt ons and drivetrain mods you need.. with the cams, you'll be about 300 to the flywheel, so you need to start thinking about injectors.. 24's should hold you with cams and intake upgrade and any N/A application you do. 300 flywheel hp is about max for 19's.

The difference between the pnp upper with a 70mm, and a C&L with a 75mm is not enough to get you to the 13's solid without cams and/or intake upgrade. And the cams will work ok with the 70mm you've got... upgrade the TB when you upgrade the intake... that's where the cork is anyway.. bigger TB and C&L upper will give you potential to get more air, but the stock intake will cork you up ... so you won't get the full benefits... If you don't want to spend all the money now for cams, C&L and 75mm, if I were you I'd scrap the C&L idea for now and just port match the stock upper to a 75mm BBK TB with a dremmel and add the cams... Bingo mid 13's .. that's the set up I had at SSHS 3... My Compcams were a little 'special' but the off-the-shelf variety will get you there. Heck a guy put 102200's in a stock headed/intaked '94 and ran 13's, so with those Renegade heads you've got, you've got it over him.

You should think about upgrading the bottom end if you put the cams in AND upgrade the intake both. Doing one or the other will be ok as long as someone sensible (Jerry) does the tune.. The reason I decided to build my engine now was because I was adding the SVO intake and then my bottom would have been at risk ven N/A, and I didn't want to put a rod through those pretty heads or intake...

Go for the SVO, that's what you really want....

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Mike i ordered the C&L and 75mm and i got a PI intake the man gave me so as soon as wer done with the trans a PI tc is comeing so 13's are comeing too
and i will see how much i will get from it with the pi intake and the P*P NPI and PI cams i am thinking about a bottom end so i will do the cams when i do that i am thinking more for a fox lake intake then a svo the man kind of sugested i should wait and go for the fox lake but we will see .also the reason why i didt want comp cams now i changed my mind is becouse they were going to be N/a cams and im getn a blower some time so then i would have to get different cams or keep my PI .

Jurgen

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I understand ... I ran my N/A custom grinds for about five weeks, maybe 25 passes... then had to scrap them to go SC... oh, well.. It was very sweet while it lasted, but I decided to trade the lumpy idle for the whistle...

You are gonna run into the same dilemma I did... after you do the cams and it's time to add the F/L or SVO intake, you'll have too many horses for stock bottom end, unless the man really de-tunes it... so there you have all that expensive hardware, but can't get the full benefits... you should be 12's but have to settle for fat 13's, leaving all that power in the box... and if you chance a lean tune to do 12's, you risk putting a rod through your expen$ive heads and intake.... what to do?????

So you'll decide to build your bottom, but you want to go SC, so you'll want about 8.5:1 CR... bolt your N/A setup to that bottom and you won't even break even, you'll be going backward...

Hold off on that F/L intake til they get some consumer numbers... so far the only numbers they have are their own.. and the TQ sux on the high HP intake... there are some bugs to work out yet... also think ahead about what kind of SC you're gonna go.. If you go KB or AED or SVO blower, what intake you get won't matter, 'cause you'll be scrapping it to use theirs anyway... If you're gonna go Vortech for sure and maybe Paxton and Pro-charge, too, you can strap the SC onto the N/A intake... the SVO works real good... I don't know about the F/L... are they setting that up for SC applications???? and will it fit under your hood???

Just some rambling thoughts...

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks Mike , all that sutff keeps going into my mind but for this year i am just looking to get safe 13;'s while i work on the rest of the stuff the intake decision has plenty of time to be made as far as blower i am getn either a S Trim or a T trim
but i'll call you sometime and we'll talk more about this now i'll be playing with the trans and other things to have ready for later on and also deleteing this thread.

Jurgen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts