TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MarkVIII has a weird problem. The compass reads exactly opposite of whatever direction you are heading. If I'm going north, it reads south. West becomes east. Southwest becomes northeast, etc. Does anyone know what would cause this and how to fix it? Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
789 Posts
We had a magnetic reversal of the poles. All compasses do that now.... :D

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
There is probably a sensor that is bolted in facing backwards, would be my guess.

It is probably not in the dash; unless it jerks sideways when you push in the lighter...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Just drive in reverse.....

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I know on GM car's you have to program the compass for true north with a single digit number code. It has the instructions in the owners manual.

Maybe ford has the same crap.

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just drive in reverse.....
In some of my previous POS beater cars, I just might have taken you up on that offer, however what with this being a lincoln and all, I don't think it would look right flying down the road in reverse. Plus its actually a nice car, which is really weird to me. This is the first car I've ever owned that I didn't immediately want to rip all the A/C and other creature comforts out of. Though the DOHC motor desparately needs a 5-speed backing it up instead of the auto. But that's down the road and I'll deal with that then.

Clint, the GMs you basically just need to drive in a big circle, which I have already tried. Also when those go out, they just read error. I've never seen one read exactly opposite before.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Im not sure but when I was a PDI guy (Pre-delivery inspector) for new dodges, all we had to do was find a big enough parking lot and drive in circles until it read correctly. It was always fun when you get a charger and it isnt calibrated. Somehow I ended up going sideways a lot.

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already tried the driving in circles. I'm going to try Clint's way tomorrow and see if that works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts