TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search - if I managed to miss this, please point me to the thread.

BUT -

The condensor on my 91 Cougar has sprung a leak, so I need to find a replacement.

I could replace with the OEM one, or a OEM-sized replacement.

But has anyone found another one that can be coaxed into fitting, that might improve the A/C cooling?

I have a couple of days so it's not a big problem, but I'd like to upgrade instead of just repair, if I can pull a good one from the boneyard.

RwP

·
Registered
613 Posts
I know a little about A/C and I dont think your cooling problems' in your condensor. In fact I've had 3 93's and all of them blow or blew frigid.

Likely problem either contamination in the system and/or bad/plugged orifice. Assume it's already changed to 134A. Orifices are cheap. Change your accumulator while you're at it, that may help and it's a good idea, anyway. New orings anyplace it's been disconnected. There was a serious O-Ring problem around 90-91, IIRC.

OTHER issues are often torn rubber flange around the blend door or sticking blend actuator

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know a little about A/C and I dont think your cooling problems' in your condensor. In fact I've had 3 93's and all of them blow or blew frigid.

Likely problem either contamination in the system and/or bad/plugged orifice. Assume it's already changed to 134A. Orifices are cheap. Change your accumulator while you're at it, that may help and it's a good idea, anyway. New orings anyplace it's been disconnected. There was a serious O-Ring problem around 90-91, IIRC.

OTHER issues are often torn rubber flange around the blend door or sticking blend actuator
Ahem.

Blowing freon and dye out the condensor is usually an indicator of a leak, is it not? :diablo:

Trust me, I've done my testing. I was just looking for something to improve cooling while I was replacing the defective part (think, for the 4.6 guys, of swapping PI parts in due to bad valve guides on the old NPI 4.6 ... or doing a DirtyD0g tranny instead of fixing a 94 4R70W kind of deal.)

New accumulator and new orifice tube are here - it was during the vacuuming I found the leak (well, actually, couldn't find it under vacuum, so I pressurised the system and found it that way.)

I'll add I'm in Northwest Louisiana - think East Texas for weather. We're already running 100F with HI into 110+ ... I doubt you get there in Ohio. I REALLY doubt you get there in Ohio. So your "blows frigid" cars would probably be "OMG What's wrong with the A/C???" down here :diablo:

RwP

·
Administrator
748 Posts
I got my bird new in '93 - never had a problem with the a/c getting it to frigid :)
Now the '89 chevy celebrity station wagon would freeze me out in 15 minutes! It was an ugly old car, but pretty easy on fuel
and could haul a ton of stuff...plus I didn't really worry about door dings - it already looked like crap :)
I'll go out on a limb here and say that gm is better with a/c systems than ford.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,454 Posts
Nope, we get nothing like 100+ on a regular basis here in Ohio... Maybe mid 90s, but that's a heat wave. Record highs can get in the low 100s, but that's rare.

But yes, I have noticed that the A/C systems on these cars don't seem very effective. Whether it's the fan, the front end design or otherwise, it always seemed like other cars cool better than these. "Other cars" including a friend's 98 Silverado, '07 and '08 Milans and an '11 Fusion Hybrid.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ahem.

Blowing freon and dye out the condensor is usually an indicator of a leak, is it not? :diablo:
I'm pretty sure I understood that part
Trust me, I've done my testing. I was just looking for something to improve cooling while I was replacing the defective part (think, for the 4.6 guys, of swapping PI parts in due to bad valve guides on the old NPI 4.6 ... or doing a DirtyD0g tranny instead of fixing a 94 4R70W kind of deal.)
I got your drift. I'm saying there's other reason possible. Suggest you read back what I actually said.

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got your drift. I'm saying there's other reason possible. Suggest you read back what I actually said.
You MAY want to carefully re-read what I posted.

I didn't say I had a cooling problem, I was looking to improve the cooling (no problem that other cars here don't have, at least ...)

Well, I do - the condensor leaks. New one arrived today, so it's on my list for this weekend (along with the oil change and fixing the front bumper where that road lizard split it also - a temp fix, I'm planning on replacing it anyway.)

Just as a note - sometimes people have stuff that works OK, but when it breaks, they look for an improvement. Like better tires when one blows out, PI heads to fix an oil leak caused by the 184Kmiles on that 1994 4.6, etc.

RwP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts