TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Here is the complete tork tech blower install on my Thunderbird.

The tork tech kit kit comes with the a very thick heat exchanger. I preferred to use a large thin heat exchanger. Either way you have to move the windshield washer bottle or do with out. While I was installing the heat exchanger I decided to add a smaller transmission cooler out of a dodge caravan that was modified to fit where the AED heat exchanger would have mounted. I was forced to move the windshield washer bottle I mounted it against the frame rail. I had to move the vapor recovery canister to the bumper. I recommend that using a windshield bottle from a hatch back the smaller and the flatter the better. Just make sure you get all the extra tubing to install.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
part 2 tt install

On the second part of the install I had to install a the supercharger and mock up the egr. I found out that you can not use the adapter that bill sends you in the kit because it will cause the EGR valve to hit the tbird fuel rails and regulator. I decided to depart from using a stock tbird alternator and use a mark 8 unit for improved clearance for a 2 inch thick griffin radiator later. If you decide to keep the stock unit you have to grind the tab off the back because it will hit the fan.

On the mark 8 alternator the mounting tab is 1.20 inches thick and will cause a belt miss alignment problem the way to solve the problem is to disassemble the alternator and have a machine shop to machine the front mounting tab to .98 to 1.00 inches thick. I also recommend having the slot on the bottom welded shut so that if the bolts ever come loose the alternator won't fall on the ground. It is also necessary to use a mercury marauder cam sensor for clearance . it is about 50.00 for the sensor.

It is also required that you use a 2000 and up mustang front cover because the tbirds one will not clear the front cross brace. You do need to change the belt routing over what tork tech has you do. Move the grooved pulley on the outside edge with the ribs to the inside on the passenger side.

This is necessary for the belt to clear the AC lines. Do not use the tension pulley on the back side since it is not required. If you do that the alternator will have better belt wrap.

see the modifications to use the stock alternator.

now pictures of the stock mark 8 alternator compared to the stock one and pictures of it mounted on the car with the belt routing.

Now the belt routing. The stud on the bottom driver side on the corner of the cover needs to be cut off and the bracket bent down slightly.

Now pictures of the mercury marauder cam sensor.

now pictures of the clearance with mark 8 alternator.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
part 3

here is some pictures of the blower install on the car. I also decided to do the water bypass mod on the car. I had to have the manifold machined for a water outlet in the back. I would recommend using a 1/2 inch npt to an10 90 degree fitting back there. I would also recommend using using 5/8 heater hose for the bypass modification. I also ran into another problem with the tork tech kit. It only has provisions for 1 temperature sensor I have the auto ac so that also posed another problem. The temp sensor for it is normal grounded through the steel pipe mounted on the back of the passenger side cylinder head. I took some brass plumbing t plus reducers and AN adapters to 1/2 inch npt so I could have some temperature sensor manifolds. I could not find anything available aftermarket so I was forced to do this. The gauge sensor on the driver side has its own ground. Since the ac temp sensor is grounded to the manifold it uses the gauge ground. I used a AN t fitting to hook into the water feed to heater core.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Part 4

This is part 4.

I had a problem with the tork tech kit. Its water outlet tubes are far above the degassing bottle. I would be very difficult to degas the system and could lead to over heating problems. I had to cut off 1 of the water tubes and use a pair of hoses from gates. I had to cut them off to get them as low as possible to get them level with the degas bottle this should solve the problem. I also found out that the tbird's water out won't work because it makes the water outlet hose going from the thermostat to the radiator at a bad angle preventing hook up. It is necessary to use one from a mustang or a crown victoria.

There is another major problem. this kit was never designed to use coil packs only coil on plugs so there is no provisions for mounting coil packs. I had to improvise. I used 2 passenger side coil mounts either from a 94-95 tbird or crown victoria. I placed one on the stud on the passenger side and trimmed the bottom of the mount down to clear the supercharger belt tension on the cross brace. when I got it where I wanted it I drilled and taped the cross brace for 1 more bolt.

The driver side is another story. I took some angle iron and cut out a mount for the power steering bracket and then took one of the early tbird coil mounts flipped it around backwards and cut off part of the brace to clear the cross brace and then welded it to the power steering mount letting the coil mount saddle the cross brace.

If I did it again I would put the power steering mount behind the cross brace and trim the the coil mount down placing it very close to the alternator and bolting it all the way through connecting both . The reason why I put the coil pack where I did was because I was concerned that the strong magnetic fields coming off the alternator might cause interference with the coil pack from induction.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
part 5

this is the wrap up mostly.

The air filter does not fit well attached directly to the plastic inlet tube. I had to get a 4 inch 45 degree silicone elbow from silicone intakes.com to put the air filter where it should go. I also made a air box and will seal the top. I also had to modify the plastic inlet tube. I drilled and taped and inserted a 3/4 water outlet tube fitting to attach a hose from the plastic tube to the Idle air control valve. I drilled and taped the one on the front of the tube that is sealed from tork tech and put a 5/8 fitting running a hose to the air inlet on the driver side valve cover. I had to use a tubing adapter to hook up the vapor canister to the back of the manifold. I also also had to put a cap over the 1/2 inch vacuum port. Tork tech needs to add 1 1/4 inch vacuum port for the vapor canister, 1 5/32 vacuum port for the EGR and 1 addition 5/16 port for the pcv.. Tork tech also needs to add 2 additional 1/8 npt ports in the manifold after the super charger for a gauge / kenny bell boost a spark/ kenny bell boost a pump.

The intercooler degassing tank. I was challenging fitting a degassing tank because of extremely limited space. I settled on using a tank from canton for a 03-04 cobra. This tank required substantial modification. I had to cut about a 30 degree slice out of the back bottom corner to make it fit the contour of the shock tower. I also had to have the a AN 12 fitting in the side of the tank at the bottom to hook up the line to the pump. The one in the corner could not work because it would prevent opening up the oil fill. I had to use a 90 degree 3/4 inch heater hose to connect the intercooler to the degassing tank.

Now onto the throttle cable. The factory cable won't reach. You must use a lokar tc1000mod throttle cable. You must remove the accelerator pedal to access the lokar cable inside the car. It requires 2 people to do this job. disassemble the stock cable and reuse the plastic clip to hook into the accelerator pedal and put it onto the cable with it against the blunt end. use a washer and have somebody hold the cable and tighten the nut on the inside.

in my opinion this is a better way to do it. take the stock plastic housing cut it flush on the outside and drill a hole in the center 5/16 and on the back side measure out from where it is flush about 3/16 and cut it off. Then install the plastic piece back on the car and then install the lokar throttle cable and tighten it down. It is also recommended that you remove the throttle cable brace and flip it over and drill from the under side when drilling the holes for the cruise control.

Hood

It is not recommended to reuse the factory hood even with a hood scoop. it requires cutting out all of the bracing in the center. The brace on the passanger side hits the air intake a chunk has to be taken out of the back to clear the EGR.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/703999/fullsize/att9.avi

·
Registered
793 Posts
maybe I should make the opening a little bigger and put some clear lexan over it. :)
WOW! As I was looking over your project (studied it for a long, long time), I got to the cutting of the hood for clearance photos...I sat here thinking, 'What a show piece it would be if he would just, "make the opening a little bigger and put some clear Lexan over it. :uppoint:"

Damn, Man, you are one genius at fabricating and figuring out how to make things fit when many of us wouldn't even consider it. You sure have my admiration for doing a great job!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Wow that almost fits within the stock hood.

The kit comes with a M112 correct?
And the heat exchanger up front is the one in the kit our your substitution? Or did you just state you would have liked to have a long and thinner one but used what you had?

Good job. Let us know driving impressions. I know I like my little blower cars.

·
Beer and Cheese
1996 Thunderbird Sport Coyote Swap
7,397 Posts
Very nice job, thank you very much for the write up, you do great work! :)

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I used a aftermarket one that I purchased. I thought that it would get a lot more air flow through it than the 3 inch thick tork tech unit. I had to disable the air bag sensors to use it . siliconeintakes.com also makes one that is 2 inch thick 12 inches wide and 14 inches tall that would allow the retention of the air bag sensors.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I used a aftermarket one that I purchased. I thought that it would get a lot more air flow through it than the 3 inch thick tork tech unit. I had to disable the air bag sensors to use it . siliconeintakes.com also makes one that is 2 inch thick 12 inches wide and 14 inches tall that would allow the retention of the air bag sensors.
Cool.

And you live in a brothel. Cool 2.

·
Registered
144 Posts
awesome !! plan on making a CAI that feeds from the fender ?

on my tork tech crown vic the IAT's reach 150 degrees with the filter under the hood like that.. Im working on a CAI.

·
Beer and Cheese
1996 Thunderbird Sport Coyote Swap
7,397 Posts
I really hope you get a cowl hood, I hate hood scoops on our cars.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
yes it is going to have a cold air intake. I have the one I made for the aed but it does not fit right. I do have some sheet steel and I will make a totally enclosed air air box. I would like to put a air filter under the inner fender. I am worried about sucking up water. I have herd that some imports have a little vacuum valve if the air filter suck up water a vacuum valve will open preventing the ingestion of water. If you have a link to such stuff please let me know.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.