TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was on my way home today after whats possibly been one of the most horrible days I can remember. The iPod wasn't shuffling to any songs that I wanted to hear so I flipped the radio over to FM and scanned through the channels and hear midway through from the song to the end because and think to myself wow t.A.T.u. has a new song? No alas, more Katy Perry garbage. Completely ripped off sound. Oh well. Just another disappointment to my already ruined day.

On another completely unrelated note....part of what has ruined my day, anyone have any advice on what to do when you get sued because a hospital refused to bill an insurance company and now wants you to pay the full amount?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Wow, that really sucks....I have deep hatred for hospitals, health care, and health insurance, because of situations like this...I would say fight them, because that's unacceptable BS. Maybe call a good financial guru like Dave Ramsey or somebody similar with that situation, I hear people call into his show every day with situations like that and he always has good advice for dealing with crap like that. Sucks that it comes down to being healthy vs. the allmighty $$$

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
On another completely unrelated note....part of what has ruined my day, anyone have any advice on what to do when you get sued because a hospital refused to bill an insurance company and now wants you to pay the full amount?
Sue ?? as in somebody Served you papers ?? You must owe a lot of $$ .. if you got papers - consult legal counseling.

Usually this type of thing goes to "collections" and you get the bill collector calling you every day. ;)

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sue ?? as in somebody Served you papers ?? You must owe a lot of $$ .. if you got papers - consult legal counseling.

Usually this type of thing goes to "collections" and you get the bill collector calling you every day. ;)
unfortunately thats a majority of the problem, I don't owe them nearly as much money as they say I do due to the fact that they never billed my insurance and dodged my calls until it went to collections which as soon as it hit collections the hospital started accepting my calls (how convenient) and said that it's out of their hands deal with the collections agency. Of course the collections agency says it's all up to the hospital since that's the people paying them to sue me, and that they are the only ones that can stop me from being sued for that amount.... but they assure me that they (the hospital) wont stop the lawsuit because they've already been paid to sue me and serve me.

So yeah, I'm seeking legal counsel. My insurance company was never billed because they never submitted a claim to my insurance company. They claim the insurance company was never billed because I don't have insurance... yet I've never had a lapse of coverage and they have my insurance information on file. It's complete b.s.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
That really sucks and although you would think the hospital would make sure your insurance got billed so they would get paid, if you read the fine print the hospital does billing as a "courtesy" and are not required to do so. Some hospital billing depts wont work with or bill certain insurance companies. I had one where they refused to submit a claim because at the time they would only do electronic billing and nothing manually filling out papers. If this was the case though they should have notified you that they weren't going to perform the billing so you could have submitted the claim yourself.

Check into it very soon. Insurance companies have a time limit for filing claims and you may be able to do it yourself still. If you are being sued then it must have been a substantial amount of money and they are probably going to try to attach a lien to your tax refunds or garnish your wages so don't put it off.

We were posting at the same time and just read your reply to SCTbird1994;

Get your paper trail together, get a hold of the hospital and start requesting documents, ask for a copy of the original denial letter from the insurance saying that you have no coverage. Get a copy of your admission/intake papers where they take down your insurance info. I think when they see the error was theirs they'll reconsider.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
unfortunately thats a majority of the problem, I don't owe them nearly as much money as they say I do due to the fact that they never billed my insurance and dodged my calls until it went to collections which as soon as it hit collections the hospital started accepting my calls (how convenient) and said that it's out of their hands deal with the collections agency. Of course the collections agency says it's all up to the hospital since that's the people paying them to sue me, and that they are the only ones that can stop me from being sued for that amount.... but they assure me that they (the hospital) wont stop the lawsuit because they've already been paid to sue me and serve me.

So yeah, I'm seeking legal counsel. My insurance company was never billed because they never submitted a claim to my insurance company. They claim the insurance company was never billed because I don't have insurance... yet I've never had a lapse of coverage and they have my insurance information on file. It's complete b.s.
Keep very good notes of all your conversations with EVERYBODY! Who you talked to (Get a name and get what agency or division within the agency they're with), who they're with (Hospital or Collection agency), dates, times, what was discussed, what was said, etc.

All of that information will be critical in your case against them or defending yourself in their case against you.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
This is possible too and happened to me once, I went to a hospital I had been to many times over the years but once went in through the ER. They either didn't bother to look up my info or couldn't find it so instead of putting everything under my original account number (that had my insurance info) they created a new account number which wasnt linked to my medical history or account info. It took me awhile but I was able to get them to merge the 2 accounts.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
348 Posts
That sucks Chris. Makes you hate the medical industry in this town. You'll have to let me know what hospital it was so I can avoid going there in the future. Hope you can find a decent lawyer to get it straightened out.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good ol' UMC

·
Registered
348 Posts
Cant say I'm surprised. They are so mismanaged they would have been out of business years ago if the county didn't keep them afloat.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
How is it possible that one video can contain so much WIN? lol
THe band really threw everyone for a loop with that song and the video was well received too. Yeah leave it to the aussies to show how an awesome video is done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts