TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So- rather than ressurect old threads (here, and here), I'm just going to start new... :rolleyes:
Here's some pics(finally) of the Arc Audio 6.5s.

Door panel (wide)

Door panel (close-up)

Tweeter install

Panel on, through handle hole

Trunk (amps)

(yes, the trunk is messy)

Peter M.

·
Registered
395 Posts
very nice. how did you make that panel to fit the 6.5's? i have a set of kappa perfect components i need to figure out how to put in.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock 5x7s are mounted to a plastic piece that angles the speaker up a bit. I just used that as a template on some 1/2 MDF. Cut the hole for the speaker, and you're all set. I also pulled the speaker cloth from inside the door panel. That's why the panel is black. In bright light you can see the speaker behind it.
There's probably enogh room to mount the tweeter there as well, but I wanted a better angle for imaging.

Peter M.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
nice! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Somebody else who took my map pocket idea. :D Sounds real nice that way doesn't it?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D Yeah, I saw your install, and thought "Gee, I don't use those for maps either..."
It does help the imaging, and sounds REAL nice.

Peter M.

·
Registered
493 Posts
D'oh. I can't do that, map holder = garbage pocket, that tweeter would be trashed in a week.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pod thing? The pocket? It's still there. There is a lip on the inside of it, so a cutout can be glued in from the back. I did cut out the back of the pocket, to put the insert in through.

Peter M.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Used that too. The panel angles up, and the plastic tweeter mount angles back.

Peter M.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Vegeta99 said:
D'oh. I can't do that, map holder = garbage pocket, that tweeter would be trashed in a week.
:zwthstpd: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Peter M said:
The stock 5x7s are mounted to a plastic piece that angles the speaker up a bit. I just used that as a template on some 1/2 MDF. Cut the hole for the speaker, and you're all set. I also pulled the speaker cloth from inside the door panel. That's why the panel is black. In bright light you can see the speaker behind it.
There's probably enogh room to mount the tweeter there as well, but I wanted a better angle for imaging.

Peter M.
Awesome job man. That looks nice and what I'm gonna do too :)

Question. Does it sound like your hearing all the music from one side of the car? Can your hear the passengers side good and almost even??

I'm mainly looking to even out the sound. I really hate the imaging of the setup in my '94 where they are mounted in the pillars.

Thanks for the feedback and pics.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does it sound like your hearing all the music from one side of the car? Can your hear the passengers side good and almost even?
No, the imaging is excellent. Most mid to high-end head units have the ability to delay any of its outputs to 'time-align' the system. This makes it sound like all of the speakers are an equal distance from the listener. That, and adjusting the output levels will make everything right. My left channel is a couple of dB less than the right, and delayed a few milliseconds as well.
Even adjusting the output levels only, will produce good imaging.
BTW- keeping the tweeters as close as possible to the woofer helps overall sound quality.

Peter M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.