TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've decided to convert my doors and install 5.25"Components. Where would I install the tweeters and how?

Or what component systems have a plate to mount the tweeter onto the speaker?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
72 Posts
I actually cut a hole out in the speaker grill. With the tweeters that I got they matched the grill perfectly... You can see pics on my cardomain. However for sound... Not the right place. I am currently creating kick pods for my 5.25"s and creating a gauge pod sort of thing for my tweeters on the pillar...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I know some of the MB Quarts will install as co-ax or component, but that far behind the grill will not help the sound. Mounting on the grill, or using the map pocket seems to be popular choices. They also give some of the best imaging.

Peter M

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peter M-
Can you help me with that Map Pocket?
How did you do that?

THANKS,
Brian

·
Registered
170 Posts
You want the tweets as far down and as far forward as you can get the for the proper imaging.

In my 90 Tbird I had the MB Quart tweets in the kick panels and the rest of the component in the door...sounded kick butt.

·
Registered
573 Posts
MAGIC!!! :D

j/k... Here's how I did it. I belive Sir Will did his as well, and may have more to add.
I removed the door panel, and cut out the back of the pocket itself. Take some cardboard, ad mock-up the piece that will be going in. Trim a bit at a time until the fit is perfect. Take your time here. It WILL pay off later.
I then traced that onto some 1/8 particle board. It's flexible and paintable. Glued it in place, and mounted the tweeter onto that. The woofer is on 3/4 MDF using the original plastic speaker mount as a template. Then cut the hole using your speaker template on that. Paint and mount.
The whole job will take an afternoon. But, IMO, it's well worth it.
Oh- my crossover fit behind the panel, your mileage may vary.

Peter M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts