TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the compresson on all 8 and got average of 125-130.. Is that normal to have? Not to mention I have have terriable gas milage for the longest time...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Millers right...What other symptoms do you have? Slow start, black smoke when you stand on it, hesitation on take off or under throttle. What is your fuel pressure? What does your air filter look like? Is the tranny shifting fine?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It doesnt start very easy at times... Tranny seems to be shifting into 3rd at the wrong time.. I have to much fluid so I assume thats the problem.. The filter seems to be alright... I got a code and it came up smog pump bad? when the hell did we get those? Or is the guy at Autozone smoken a phatty? I am not sure of fuel pressure. injectors and rails sound good.. I just replaced the bad PCV valve a couple days ago.. I went to find ask them about it and found a guy that questioned what I knew! He said my car has 14.1 compression.. So I just left. Other then that its good :) gas milage blows!! Could I have a bad computer? Will my dyno tune take care of that next month? No smoke and no gas smell either..

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Your car's runnin' Po-Po? Well, the standard action should be taken ; 1.) Clean MAF, 2.)Pull plugs/replace ...theyre cheap, but analyze them too, as they will tell you a lot about whats going on . 3.) if youve got over 50k on the wires , replace them.4.) when all else fails see your dealer for a diagnostic. Boy! I really hate the $50 to find out , but sometimes thats the only way, and when the autozone guy tells you youve got 14:1 compression you are dealing with the worst of the automotive crowd , a total idiot... good luck

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was the guy at the ford dealership that said i had 14:1... wires are new plugsare new maf is clean.... all no good :( bad eec?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't think any stock production vehicle (car, motorcycle, or otherwise) ever came with a static compression ratio even close to 14:1. That guy's been sniffing too much nitromethane fumes. Our cars came with (I believe) a 9.4:1 Ratio

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You "may need a new MAF.... theyre verry complex and can breakdown without giving a code till complete failure..Ive had one let go at less than 50k, and it baffeled everyone till it let go.I still have a spare EEC that I bought that ended up as a diagnostic aid , and it can be painful to find out by just swapping parts,, but I never leave home without a spare EEC and MAF on long trips....good luck

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually my maf was bad before then i swapped a different one in and it worked

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
DId you swap it with a new Ford MAF or did you skimp and put on one form auto zone? Check your plugs. Change your tranny fluid and geter back down. You are doin serious damage to the trans with it to full over time.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i got a maf from someone on tccoa here.. the other maf threw a code.. ill lower fluid today.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Before you swap your MAF you should check a few things.

You say you pulled a code? Smog pump must be an error what is the code number (IE: P1743)?

If you overdrive is not working you can get bad fuel economy. You say that there is something going on with the overdrive-shifting schedule? Do you have your overdrive disabled? Did you play with the switch? Is overdrive working?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I gotta drain some fluid i have a little bit to much.. OD still works.. The code went away on its own yesterday and I felt more power when i did.. Doesnt make much sense:2huh:

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
46cougrrr said:
I don't think any stock production vehicle (car, motorcycle, or otherwise) ever came with a static compression ratio even close to 14:1. That guy's been sniffing too much nitromethane fumes. Our cars came with (I believe) a 9.4:1 Ratio
9:1.

Some diesel engines have C/Rs above 14:1.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was counting non-diesel vehicles. I knew diesels have high compression, but has Ford ever put one of its diesel engines into a production car, I know the Mark VII had one model that came with a diesel sourced from I believe Mercedes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts