TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the easiest (if possible) way to drop the compression without having to go into the short block? After owning a turbocoupe I have an undying love for turbos.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Only way to drop the compression is changing you internals to lower compression ratios(pistons, rods, rings crank), no ther solution and certainly not cheap..

Israel

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Or bolt on a set of DOHC heads.... that will lower your CR by about one full point. :D

And… give you a HUGE nightmare trying to get everything to work!! :leftright

And.... 4.6L's have hypereutectic pistons.... which are not the "best" piston for boost. :beek:

And… if you're looking to turbo a 4.6L, plan on having deeeeeeeep pockets. :D

Have fun and good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hobohuey said:
What would be the easiest (if possible) way to drop the compression without having to go into the short block? After owning a turbocoupe I have an undying love for turbos.
You may want to call Cometic and see if they offer thicker head gaskets that will fit your motor. I know they have them for the 5.0.

David

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
They do make them for the 4.6, although I have been unable to find exact thicknesses (haven't called them though).

If they make a .090 compressed thinkness it'll drop you to ~8.5:1 compression. .039 is the stock compressed thinkness (technically it's 1mm).

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
GreenBird said:
They do make them for the 4.6, although I have been unable to find exact thicknesses (haven't called them though).

If they make a .090 compressed thinkness it'll drop you to ~8.5:1 compression. .039 is the stock compressed thinkness (technically it's 1mm).

I think it wouldnt be a good idea on just slaping in the gasket knowing that our internals are really weak when they go above 350HP. I mean, sure compression will go low, but I think more of a future effieciency. Did I make sense? :confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Everything I've ever read says water injection is a really BAD solution to things... in the ultimate race application, people do anything and everything to gain an inch, but for street/strip use... no way. 2cc's can be gained by grinding out the swirl fins... but i dont know how the drivability would be when not under boost.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Taking out the swirl dams is never a good solution. A thicker HG is the easiest way.

Tx_Cat, while your right the stock shortblock can't take a ton of abuse, lowering the compression ratio allows more boost, making more power for the same cylinder pressures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts