TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and to these late model tbirds. I just picked up a 1996 with the v8. While it has some power it needs MORE. Ha ha ha. How is the PCM done in this care? Is there a chip that gets changed out to get the motor running stronger or the trans shifting for more power? Or is the PCM one you hook a Hypertech type of device to it?

·
5,650 Posts
It's either or with your car. You can hook up a programmer via the OBDII diagnostic port or you can put a chip on the PCM. The chip attaches to the PCM; there is nothing replaced. Expect to only gain 10-15 hp with a tune. You need all the supporting mods, like exhaust, TC, gears, heads, cams etc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am not looking for a monster racer, ha ha ha. Just get it a tiny bit peppier. I do plan to put some better mufflers then the stockers. I had a 94 Caprice with the lt1 that I was able to tune the PCM in to tweek rev limiters, change the cooling fan to turn on sooner, change around other parameters that ran the motor and also changed the shift points/firmness of the trans. I was wondering if that can be done with this car.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am not looking for a monster racer, ha ha ha. Just get it a tiny bit peppier. I do plan to put some better mufflers then the stockers. I had a 94 Caprice with the lt1 that I was able to tune the PCM in to tweek rev limiters, change the cooling fan to turn on sooner, change around other parameters that ran the motor and also changed the shift points/firmness of the trans. I was wondering if that can be done with this car.

in a word....yes.

www.blueovalchips.com
www.matthillmotorsports.com

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the chip route do the stuff for the trans also, along with motor?
What would be my best route to take to get this done?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Will the chip route do the stuff for the trans also, along with motor?
What would be my best route to take to get this done?
just tell lonnie or matt what you want, they have forgotten more than most people know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts