TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the large oil pressure sender for the mod, but the girl(said she was a tech and saw issues with this) who sold it to me said she wouldn't install that in a 4.6 because the housing is delicate and after removing the old one after all those miles/putting in the new one the threads around the sensor weaken. Also any overtightening (which even normal tight could put stress) is sure to crack it and cause oil leaks in the future, she said to be extremely careful. She suggested maybe a new adapter mount after 200K miles.

Also she said the weight of that sensor and the vibrations from the engine is a risk, and that sender usually goes on engines with cast iron blocks. She said remote mounting secured to the frame is another option, wanted to sell me a braided line for it.

I did some searching here and found a few cases where people had serious issues after installing this, in the worst case losing oil and and engine. Now I'm having second thoughts about doing this lol.

Anyone have any issues with this? Is this a valid concern? At least you have an accurate pressure gauge to know when it happens!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mine cracked when I put my auto meter sending unit on but I am pretty sure that I just tightened it too far. The adapter unit is made out of cheap metal and is prone to cracking so it's your call on what you do here. Although I wouldn't think a new one would be any stronger than an old one. I also might add that mine was on the 4.6, not sure the differences with the 3.8.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine cracked when I put my auto meter sending unit on but I am pretty sure that I just tightened it too far. The adapter unit is made out of cheap metal and is prone to cracking so it's your call on what you do here. Although I wouldn't think a new one would be any stronger than an old one. I also might add that mine was on the 4.6, not sure the differences with the 3.8.
I want to do it on the 4.6L. She said people bought autometer gauges and had larger senders crack against the sway bar cause of bad motormounts :(

I may just do the mod on the 96 explorer.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Same thing happened to me. When I swapped engines, I over tighten the sender and cracked it, had to go to the yard and buy another one. I never thought they were that sizzy...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too have cracked an oil filter adaptor from overtightening the sender. Glad I'm not the only one...lol.
found a handful of others
And a guy in the mod article said he did, one said a shop tried to add a sender that didn't fit, they put back the old one and it pissed out the oil right away ... one said it blew out at a later time and he lost a motor.

Here is a problem i see..the shop manual specifies about 12 ft /lbs of torque. That hole is going to be drenched in oil and you put teflon (very slippery) on the threads. I know people worry about a bit of anti-sieze on spark plug threads, the torque has to be reduced.

Now its practically frictionless. The sender itself is 2 inches diameter. You can easily exceed that torque even by hand with such a setup, imagine a 6" wrench!. I wouldn't even know what to set a torque wrench to. Now you have a heavy sender sticking out in a weakened boss, subject to engine vibrations, suspension movement, etc.. assuming you didn't strip threads and it fails right away....

The original small factory sender comes with a thick sticky threadlocker that may increase prevailing torque somewhat. I'm thinking to play safe maybe clean out the hole and coat the threads with a solid threadlocker. Then you can snug it down lightly by hand and not worry about leaks or slipping out.

The mod from Lonnie was originally for the 5.0L engine with an cast block or brass/steel extensions.

I'm not saying no one should do it but at least be extremely careful tightening this thing. Would be ironic to lose a motor over a mod like this :(

·
Registered
518 Posts
I want to do it on the 4.6L. She said people bought autometer gauges and had larger senders crack against the sway bar cause of bad motormounts :(

I may just do the mod on the 96 explorer.
Mine was just simply overtightening it. I took the oil filter adapter to work and cut it shorter and tapped the threads. Had to use some fittings from the plumbing supply store to get the sender to sit properly but it works for now. When I build my motor I will put a new one on but for now this setup works.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I had this happen to me when I put the Autometer sender in the lower extra location on the housing.

I moved the stock one down on the lower location with a 90* adapter, and put the Autometer in the stock location. Been running with it for two years now and no issues. (I also have the SC sway bar, so that might make a difference too)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just snapped the ear off of one yesterday. Totally my fault though.
After I cracked this one, maybe 5-6 years ago, I bought a new one and a new gasket from Ford. I didn't know the torque specs at the time, so I figured tighter was better. Never had a single problem with it, but yesterday I was removing it to make engine removal easier. I got all of them out except the top one, it stripped bad and my usual tricks wouldn't work, since the coolant-elbow part of it is like right there. I tried to cut the nut off with a cutoff wheel, got close, but not close enough. used a prybar to loosen it a little, and the ear just snapped off.
At this point I will get a junkyard peice and glass-bead it or just remote mount it. I am suruprised that Ford would make such an inmportant piece out of such crappy material.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I just snapped the ear off of one yesterday. Totally my fault though.
After I cracked this one, maybe 5-6 years ago, I bought a new one and a new gasket from Ford. I didn't know the torque specs at the time, so I figured tighter was better. Never had a single problem with it, but yesterday I was removing it to make engine removal easier. I got all of them out except the top one, it stripped bad and my usual tricks wouldn't work, since the coolant-elbow part of it is like right there. I tried to cut the nut off with a cutoff wheel, got close, but not close enough. used a prybar to loosen it a little, and the ear just snapped off.
At this point I will get a junkyard peice and glass-bead it or just remote mount it. I am suruprised that Ford would make such an inmportant piece out of such crappy material.
Also, whats with everyone stripping those 10mm bolts???!!!!

Lucky Ford didn't make it out of plastic.

Here are some nice pics of our honorary part, we have the one he switched to:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/oilcooler/

He also warns about over tightening the sender in his notes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is how I dealt with adding in a aftermarket oil pressure gauge to my mustang:

(the autometer oil sender is on the left, stock is on the right. I kept the stock sender so my gauge didn't read 0 oil pressure just so I didn't have to look down and see 0 oil pressure, really makes no diff but I'm anal)

All the hardware can be bought at home depot with the exception of the hard line and 3an adapters. I had an old nitrous line laying around which is plenty strong to withstand the oil pressure and got the AN fittings off ebay. if you notice up in the right hand corner I have a 2nd T fitting which screws right into filter housing so I can tap into it for my supercharger when I install it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts