TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering doing the Cobra Hub swap. However the wheels I want are the FR500 replica rims. I was considering going 17x9 up in front and 17x10.5 deep dish in the rear. If I can not install those rims then it is not really worth it to me. So any enlightenment concerning this topic would be great. Thank You.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the back to run a 10" or 10.5" wheel the diameter must be at leat 18" or you will not clear the ebrake cable and system.
Well thats quite disappointing. I just think 18 inch wheels would look as good as 17's, might just be too much wheel for my taste. I suppose I could go 17x9 up front and 18x10 out in the rear. If I do that that, am I going to have to fear the rim rubbing the deep inside of the wheel well?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Well thats quite disappointing. I just think 18 inch wheels would look as good as 17's, might just be too much wheel for my taste. I suppose I could go 17x9 up front and 18x10 out in the rear. If I do that that, am I going to have to fear the rim rubbing the deep inside of the wheel well?
This may help some !
c/p
16":These rims are the standard stock size rim on most Mustangs. Purchasing these wheels will give you the same handling and ride quality you already have.
17":Going up to 17s will give you better handling without changing the ride quality of your car.
18":These rims will give you better handling than a 17”, with only a very slight decrease in ride quality . The change in ride quality will be barely noticeable, if at all.
20":Getting 20” rims is less about ride quality and more about looks. Putting a wheel this size on your Mustang will give your car the appearance of being lowered because the wheel well will be filled. However, you may experience poor handling and ride quality in exchange.
end c/p

-Maic

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This may help some !
c/p
16":These rims are the standard stock size rim on most Mustangs. Purchasing these wheels will give you the same handling and ride quality you already have.
17":Going up to 17s will give you better handling without changing the ride quality of your car.
18":These rims will give you better handling than a 17”, with only a very slight decrease in ride quality . The change in ride quality will be barely noticeable, if at all.
20":Getting 20” rims is less about ride quality and more about looks. Putting a wheel this size on your Mustang will give your car the appearance of being lowered because the wheel well will be filled. However, you may experience poor handling and ride quality in exchange.
end c/p

-Maic
I just noticed I said would, when I meant to say wouldn't. Sorry about that. I was thinking more along the lines of the weight of the 18's compared to the 17's. Now that I have seen the 18's on the Thunderbird, I must say it does not look bad.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Dusty are those stang pattern or stock bird?

Zero

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Can i ask where you got em, They are beautiful

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like them a lot. Good tire for the money.
Glad to hear. I went ahead and ordered the rear hubs from Summit, and I will be giving my friend a call on Monday to head down the junkyard and remove some front hubs for me. Sometimes its good to have friends who are unemployed. ;) In the mean time I have some old V6 mustang rims to put on the car just until I have the money for wheels.

I appreciate the the help from everyone, and I believe I have everything I need to move on from here with the swap. I am going to look into those Generals, Dusty thanks for the opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I've got an 18x10 in the back with a 40mm offset, 275/40/18 tire. With the fenders rolled I had plenty of room...

...from when I had it bagged.
Whats your offset in the front Jeff ? I'm curious if a 18x9 with 30mm offset would clear. I'm glad to know that the 40mm in the rear will work. :D

-Maic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts