TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions on some filters, Witch is better and why. Cone or panel, k&n, paper or dry flow and in box or out of box.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
Cone filters flow more, however with the K&N type filters the oil can contaminate the MAF sensor. Also if you just run an open cone filter inside the engine bay, it will suck in hot air, and actually hurt your performace because the factory setup is already a cold air intake. Also, with all that being said, the stock air filter is not anywhere close to a restriction for a stock engine, so unless you are running a supercharger or major engine mods, you are better off to leave the stock panel filter, and if you do get to the point of needing something bigger, get a cone filter setup out of a mustang and run the stock mustang box and filter.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reason for asking is just the other day I read up about making ur own ram air intake. So I took some of the advice and made my own, by taking some dryer vent tubing and running it down to the front air dam, then hooked it up to where the old air silencer was. As of now I have a dry flow aem cone filter. So should I just go back to the old box with a panel filter or go to the mustang box with a cone.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Reason for asking is just the other day I read up about making ur own ram air intake. So I took some of the advice and made my own, by taking some dryer vent tubing and running it down to the front air dam, then hooked it up to where the old air silencer was. As of now I have a dry flow aem cone filter. So should I just go back to the old box with a panel filter or go to the mustang box with a cone.
i rock a mustang intake. If you need a filter, its easy to find.

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
OK. To make sure I understand this.

You removed the air silencer (that also acts as much of a ram air intake as anything as long as you're not running triple digit speeds), added a cone filter in the box, then ghetto-rigged dryer venting to replace the air silencer?

Do I have that about right?

Think about that carefully ...

RwP

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. To make sure I understand this.

You removed the air silencer (that also acts as much of a ram air intake as anything as long as you're not running triple digit speeds), added a cone filter in the box, then ghetto-rigged dryer venting to replace the air silencer?

Do I have that about right?

Think about that carefully ...

RwP
the orginal air silencer comes down then shoots striaght up http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=127275.
so instead of shotting staight up into nothing, i took the dryer venting witch is basicaly sheet metal and took it to the front of the car were it can actualy catch some air. im not trying to get 50 hp out of this just trying to get some extra cold air. and how do you put a cone filter in a stock tbird air box?

http://www.mikefordmustang.com/writeups/ramair/ram-air-intake-mustang-gt.php

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
By my measurements, a 3.5" cone air filter will fit right over the intake part of the MAF sensor.
Fitting that inside the stock airbox wouldn't take much dremeling.
Your airbox won't be "stock" anymore but at least you would be isolating the cone filter from the hotter engine bay air.
-g

·
Registered
52 Posts
By my measurements, a 3.5" cone air filter will fit right over the intake part of the MAF sensor.
Fitting that inside the stock airbox wouldn't take much dremeling.
Your airbox won't be "stock" anymore but at least you would be isolating the cone filter from the hotter engine bay air.
-g
Sounds easy enough, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
the orginal air silencer comes down then shoots striaght up http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=127275.
so instead of shotting staight up into nothing, i took the dryer venting witch is basicaly sheet metal and took it to the front of the car were it can actualy catch some air. im not trying to get 50 hp out of this just trying to get some extra cold air.
And I quote:
RalphP said:
(that also acts as much of a ram air intake as anything as long as you're not running triple digit speeds)
Until you start pushing triple digits, "ram air" intakes don't.

But eh.

RwP

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Having experience with both I suggest using the Panel filter. That way you don't suck in water or hot air.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I quote:

Until you start pushing triple digits, "ram air" intakes don't.

But eh.

RwP
I understand what your your saying, i just figure that if i tried to get more cold air it would help out a little more.
But whats your take on this subject panel or cone and in box or out of box

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
I understand what your your saying, i just figure that if i tried to get more cold air it would help out a little more.
But whats your take on this subject panel or cone and in box or out of box
Panel, in box.

Just use a good one and keep it changed.

Currently the FRAMs are at about $2.65 at RockAuto ...

RwP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts