TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good idea or not? My present car has one and in 1000 miles I notice the engine oil is dirty. It was changed when I got the car. I'm thinking of just swapping the box and short tube from my old bird before I donate it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I doubt that a cone filter is the main cause of you oil being dirty. It's constantly getting dirty from a bunch of other things. I have a K&N Panel, but my car is the 3.8L so its not making enough horse power to gain much from a cone. I don't know if the 4.6L would. If you get a cone mount it inside the bumper, or NOT in the engine bay if I didn't make sense. The MN12's already have a cold air intake. The K & N kit is a waste of money because it puts the cone in the same spot the air box used to be so it sucks air from the hot engine bay.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I took mine out , because it kept meesing up my MAF sensor , and I honestly did not feel any sound or power difference .
since I took it out my MAF is always clean

·
Registered
245 Posts
I regret putting a cone on mine..seems like nothing but trouble and never noticed any real difference in power or throttle response. I have mine in the wheel well also so it's pulling cold air. Someone did a test on multiple air filters over on the bobtheoilguy forum where he added a piece of paper filter material behind the various airfilters and ran them for a month or so to see which filter was doing the best...the K&N failed miserably.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
If you just gotta have a cone filter, then get a 99-04 Mustang GT Airbox. It has a cone filter in it, and is shielded, getting air from the fender. it takes a little modification but you'll get it.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
if anything, it will help in the car get up to operating tems faster, which in turn gets more mpg when in normal operating mode.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I put a K & N cone in place of my stock airbox (duh) so when it's cool the car goes like stink (more to do with the fact it's recently had a full service than the K & N) but after 15 mins it loses power big time. Keep the stock airbox and if anything get a K & N panel filter but the main thing is as long as the stock filter's clean. :)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I bolted a piece of aluminum where my stock fog light was, put one hex head screw in it, so if it rains I get out of the car and slide it over the fog light hole... It eliminates on coming rain, however if I was driving through 8 inches puddles I could be in trouble... But in the past 3 years my Bird has seen the rain maybe 3 times at that..

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Worst case if you have it in the engine bay with heatshield is your sucking in more Si (dirt). To find out do an oil analysis

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Cone filter with no oil on an 02 GT Intake tube, down low with a diamond plate heat shield. Works great and has been on there for 8 years - the same filter hosed out every now and then.
The intake charge does heat up when stopped at a light with the A/C running on a hot southern day. It jumps right down when you get moving and reads the same temp as the climate control outside temp.
Don't fear the cone. Skip the oil, it just causes problems. I also run the K&N flat panel on my Ram Air TA with no oil, never any problems. Just need to wash out the bugs every few months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts