1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

wwltv.com
Posted on November 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Updated today at 10:25 AM

NEW ORLEANS - The Quicky's convenience store in Mid-City takes its parking lot rules seriously. Very seriously.
About 4 p.m. Friday, New Orleans paramedics rushed inside the store for a man with a life-threatening medical issue.
They worked on the patient with chest pain, put him inside the vehicle, then started to speed off.
The paramedics “heard a loud noise,” and the vehicle came to a screeching halt, according to Jeb Tate, spokesman for New Orleans Emergency Medical Services.
The medics stepped out and found a boot on their ambulance.
Convenience store employees allegedly put a restrictive parking boot on the ambulance. And now it was stuck.
The paramedics were perplexed.
Tate said the ambulance had its emergency lights on the whole time.
Store employees didn’t want to talk about it. They declined requests for comment.
Apparently one of the employees took the boot off. The tire was left flat.
And so the paramedics and the man with the emergency waited.
“We actually had to delay that patient's care by calling another ambulance out here to come transport this patient,” Tate said.
Signs on the convenience store make clear that parking is for customers only. The signs state: “If you leave the property for any reason your vehicle will be booted.”
But the paramedics apparently were there the whole time tending to a man with chest pains.
We called the telephone number on the sign, for the “Boot Man.”
A convenience store employee picked up, then hung up.
Tate, the EMS spokesman, said the agency has never had an incident like this before.
"As long as we have our lights on, we park where it is safe to park,” he added.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Ambulance-gets-booted-while-tending-to-emergency-181631351.html

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I saw that on the Facebook Powerblock TV newsfeed. I'm sure the patient and or ambulance company can sue for interference of care. An ambulance can park where ever they want as long as they are serving emergency care. Obviously not in a middle of a traffic lane or to that extent, but they have the right-away on this one.

·
Super Moderator
11,918 Posts
Oh yeaa, law suite to ensue. Who the F do they think they are booting an ambulance?

Ignorance at it's finest. The guy who placed the boot should go to jail. I drove through downtown NOLA when I was there but didn't dare park any where near down town for fear of this sort of thing or being towed all together. They take their parking down town very seriously - obviously too seriously.

... and the crux of it is the parking lot owners know it. Parking down town in the touristy areas near the quarter are just a shade under what it costs to get your car out of hock should it be towed - read outrageously high.

I was just there a few weeks ago. Had I known this story would come up I would have snapped a few pictures of the parking rates signs around town. They're just unbelievable. :eek:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If I had any confidence in mankind New Orleans has certainly eradicated it... the whole Katrina thing took care of that. This kind of crap isn't surprising at all.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
What ever happened to the firefighter/ medics code.
We can do anything we want.
What a jag koff, putting a boot on a rescue truck.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If y'all watch the video on the news site, they question a young lady in the store of African-American decent. She keeps her face covered from the cameras and refuses to talk; I kind of get the feeling she is the one who did it.

They also show a sign saying it's $100 (or something like that) Fine and to call the Boot Man - the phone number it lists calls the convenience store!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts