TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting one of these coolers but am confused about a few things. I searched and found

Does the radiator already have any lines running to the transmission?
also what kind of lines and fittings do I need? This will be going into a 94 gt aode

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just splice in between the top radiator cooler line...basically the cooler is connected in series.

Return line from rad...

Out from cooler...

Back to tranny...

The tranny lines are 5/16", so you'll need 5/16" brass compression fittings (bought mine from ACE hardware), and 3/8" fittings for the hose connections. It was a very simple install.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a few more questions. If I got a cooler like this here would that be to big? I am thinking about getting a 2600-3000 stall. Also if I end up going turbo and having an intercooler will this shouldn't get in the way right?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
That's a smaller cooler for our cars. Many opt for a 28K GVW cooler. I got the B&M unit.

You want to send the fluid through the cooler then the radiator. This makes sure that the trans fluid will remian at operating temp, and if it's extra cool out, the engine will help heat the trans fluid. The transfluid's optimal temp is 180degrees. Too hot or too cold are both bad.

Yes, stock we already have a heat exchanger in the radiator. The easiest way to install is to cut the line going to the radiator, send it to the cooler, and then send it back to the radiator. You don't even have to touch the return line going from the radiator to the transmission.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I think it matter the way you hook it up depending on your climate.

I live in the desert, and I would (am, I have it torn down now, just did the jmod to the seperator plate, as well as updated accumulator pistons) put the aftermarket cooler AFTER the heat exchanger.

The drawing you have I think is for the AOD cars, you probably DON'T want to put the cooler before the heat exchanger, if you live in a cold climate, then you probably wouldn't be doing this.

If it goes to the cooler first, it the temp drops, but then the heat exchanger will heat it back up to 190/210 whatever the engine is running it. That doesn't make any sense to me. I think the ideal temp of the tranny is 170 or so. I don't see how you can do that be pushing the fluid through 190/210 degree water. Keeping it at 190/210 using the heat exhanger I can see, but actually lowering it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just have a quick question. Can you just bypass the heat exchanger in the rad all together? Or is this a bad thing? It seems kinda like a grey area for me. Sorry for the post hijack, but I think its somewhat relevent to the original question.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I'm running two smaller sized tranny coolers and they dont run through the radiator any more.
-Rob

·
Registered
57 Posts
The reason I ask is because I installed an 18K cooler and couldn't figure out a way to get the lines up to the top rad fitting, as it suggested in the intallation instructions. I couldn't find any way whatsoever to route the lines properly to use the stock heat exchanger with the new cooler. I ended up going under the lower rad support with the lower line and squeezing the upper rubber hose between the a/c condenser and the rad support. Luckly I don't have any kinks, but it took me 3 hours to figure it out. I haven't yet noticed any difference in the way the tranny shifts, but am I still getting enough cooling power? I've been running it like this for a month now and we have had some VERY hot days already. The only time I noticed any "problem" was when the engine almost overheated because the fan plug somehow poped off. It started shifting real hard. But once the temp was back to normal, the tranny shifted like normal.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
in canadia, i wouldn't.. up there i'd keep the heat exchanger in line to help bring the fluid to optimal range in the winter

down here in FL, or in parts of TX and in AZ... some of us bypassed the rad altogether

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just don't want to wreck an otherwise flawless tranny. It doesn't exhibit any of the common problems, or really any problems to begin with. I'm just trying to get as much life out of the tranny as possible with my "slightly" heavy right foot. So I guess I figure out a way to route it through the heat exchanger.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Why not just invest the $30-40 bux in a trans temp gauge so you can see what's really going on in there? I paid like $35 for my electric unit and installed the sender at the oil cooler inlet. This is the hottest part of the system, so I know the maximum temp my oil is reaching. Normally, she runs about 150*, run at WOT in 100 degree heat or idle in traffic under same conditions it goes to 185-ish, never any more.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
bill-murray said:
So, in Oklahoma (Will be moving to colorado eventually), just go ahead and run it before?
I would. By running it before you really aren't loosing any cooling ability. Your just averaging the cooling between the two systems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The coolant temperature on the passenger side radiator tank is going to be in the area of 200 degrees, or whatever the thermostat is. On the drivers side tank,where the heat exchanger is at, the temperature is certainly no more than 165-170 degrees even in hot climates.
I installed my cooler after the heat exchanger, simply because it made my installation easier, but I really do not think it matters much if it's before, after or in parallel. I would think the same BTU's would be leaving the system and the electric fan and it's thermostat being tha main factor in city driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts