TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys, lol...i screwed up in the sence that i tore the car down in about a day, and 3 months later are just getting time to put it back togather... im gonna try to remember how it goes, but it looks complicated, i ended up un-plugging until the fuel rail and wiring harness is now out of the car... i took loose so many bolts and nuts :(

this such any quick install help...

as of now, i have the head gaskets on and the heads on them and torqued down, with the pushrods in place, anyone wanna take it from here, simple pictures of a rebuild or how to for this motor would help too,

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'd like to help but I can't explain it I just know what they look like and where to put them.
As for the wiring that real simple just lay it out the way it wants to go and connect to the closest connector.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
get a haynes or chiltons manual from autozone, o'reillys, etc. that should help you out. i hope you kept all the bolts and nuts together in labeled sandwich bags.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You dont necessarily NEED to do that. I didnt and I magically got my car back together. Granted, I had to make many a trip to the junkyard for parts I missed, and lots of figuring out to do on my car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You will find as you go that most of the vacuum tubes and wires can only go one way. Next time use the digital camera you got for Christmas.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wish i got a digi cam for christmas, lol

and as for the bolts and nuts.... :( all i have are the new headbolts... due to my dad cleaning out the garage, i had them laying in sets on my workbench and he thought they were,spare stuff and threw it all away since they had set there so long....

i can get exhaust bolts and nuts at the local lowes or whatever, but what about the valve cover bolts and what other bolts are there, i need to get and where...

i have head bolts , can get exhaust bolts and nuts, and i have the pushrod bolts

that leaves i guess

egr any long bolts going to my accessories ie pwr steering...

what else is there i know im missing a gazilion

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh boy ! you have a jigsaw puzzle there !
I would suggest you borrow or buy a digital camera. Then visit your local friendly wrecker and take a look at a 3.8 still installed in a car or a complete engine assembly. Make a list of the bolts you need and see if the wrecker can help you. Here is a pic of a complete 3.8 out of the car. I have a good connection to a Ford wrecker and could probably help you out if you need me too. Let me know. :) 3.8L

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
valve cover bolts can be had at the local aprts store too, I got some there when I put on my powdercoated valvecovers because I wanted shiny looking new ones in there. You dont need the studded ones, those only held on the plug wires holders anyway, not a neccesity.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
IF anyone can get me the demension I can get replacement bolts cheap (and any about any strength you need/want).
Need:
Thread size
Diameter
Length
Perfered Head Size/Style.

Example: The tranny cross member bolts from Ford cost $60 a bolt and must buy in set of two, well I got 2 12 strgenth bolts (Stock is 8 or ten) with washer for less than $5 in the exact demensions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will definatly keep you guys in mind as im piecing this thing back togather...

ill let you know as i can come to it...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone else have pics like thunder central of, the inside of the motor, heads, up to valves, anything, because id be able to see things in the background maybe where something goes, or something like that pictures are worth a thousand words!

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
whats your email? i can send you some pics if you want. i will be tearing down and parting out my 3.8 sometime next week. would you be interested in buying some of my parts while your engine is still apart? if you need some bolts, i can send whatever you need.

·
Registered
190 Posts
More Pics

Here are some more pics of exterior, some duplicates. Sorry I don't have any internal pics. One week too late as I just removed the heads from that block last week as I sold the block. I unfortunately did not take any pics.
I'll scan some exploded 3.8 engine views at work tomorrow and send you them tomorrow night. Graham.

3.8 PICS

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my email is [email protected]

when it comes to parts i dont think i need any, bolts would probably be cheaper just to get around here just because shipping, sbut if i do run into anything ill definaly let you know

and thank for your help with the pictures

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I'm just shocked that anyone would throw away bolts! :eek: They are a precious commodity around these parts.

If all-else fails, go to the junkyard and swipe (by "swipe", I mean purchase legitimately) 1 of each of what you need and take those to an auto parts or hardware store and tell 'em "Hey, I need more of these." :D

I think we've all been in one of those "How the h-e-double hockey sticks does this thing go back together" situations, so go ahead and reply as many times as you need. There's at least a few of us that have explicit night-terrors about putting these things back together bottom-up :eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm just shocked that anyone would throw away bolts! They are a precious commodity around these parts.

yeah leave it to parents who dont give a **** and clean house every 3 days to screw up your life...lol

very good advice tho, however, i got the car for free...i have an audi as my weekend car and a beatup mustang as my DD

i think im gonna part this out and whatever dosent go, ill haul it to the junkyard.... the more and more i look at it... just freaks me out, so

anyone want any parts...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts