TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the difference with pi and npi conversions. i have a 94 bird with the 4.6 in it.what would be the best to get if i want to get a SC down the road. what will each swap need. i have been lookin at these pi and npi threads for a while and im still confused. i am making up my mind for the future what to get for the car. i want my tranny work done(starts this summer) then move to the motor. so i want o find out whats the diff. thanks

Brayn

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
After you get your tranny done, find a 4.6 from an 02 Explorer.(it's particularly a great choice for a 94 by the way) They are PI and are low compression compared to a PI swap which makes them better for a blower if you leave the rest of the internals stock. Leaving the internals stock means going easy on the boost though. They also have an aluminum block which is a lot lighter.
If you really want to build yours up... Do some searching, read a lot more and really think twice or three times about it. I don't suggest it and I don't think it would be in your best interest. Those first 2 years of the 4.6 in the MN-12s were not the best.
Now if you had a 96/97 on the other hand...
Best of luck with it!
Search and read. There is a ton of info here to help you.

Darrin

·
Registered
987 Posts
From all the searching and reading I have done, it would be easiest if you did the '02 swap. However, if you don't want to do that you can have some NPI heads PnP to outflow PI heads and throw the PI intake on it and be pretty well off and not raise your compression.

Sam

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Sam is right, but where he says "some NPI heads", read that to exactly mean some NPI heads from something 96 or newer and not yours. The 94/5 heads were poor designs compared to the newer ones. Very limited. You will also need to scrap that old aluminum intake for a newer design which means fuel rails and other minor stuff. No point in putting great heads behind that very restrictive intake. Again, there is a ton of reading on that stuff too.
The 96 and newer blocks had some improvements as well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yes that is what I meant :) No one, I have found, that knows what they are doing will touch 94/95 heads... Also coincidentally I happen to have a PI intake/fuel rails/injectors/elbow for sale...

SAm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts