TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as a grade 8 metric flange bolt? Or does grade 8 only denote standard sizes? I have tried searching google, but am not sure I understand. I saw one site that states 10.9 metric is roughly equivalent to grade 8 standard. I am asking because I broke the one of the rear differential's bolts that mount it to the crossmember and want to replace it with the same.

It is M12-1.75x85.

seth

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Metric equivalent would be 10.9

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
thats a big bolt to break lol

622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you're telling me.. especially while laying on your back. i was following the torque specs, but apparently I shouldn't use the upper limit of the torque specs (70-155ft lbs if memory serves me). Torque wrench set at 150ft lbs, only one bolt made it. :) Thanks again for your help James in my spazzing out episode.

Seth

·
Banned
754 Posts
if you didn't go with the high end of the torque specs, then how long would it have been before stress broke that bolt? I would just say obviously it was ready to go.

at the same time you kind of have to have a feel for bolts, and recognize weather or not your tightening it or twisting it.

622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't do any extreme driving or racing, so I will probably just torque to around 100 ft lbs this time. I will also replace the bolt that survived, just to be safe.

Seth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts