TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused on what line to tap into to recharge my system. It leaked dry awhile go. Do i want to tap into the port that is near the firewall or near the condenser? And yes i've searched but only got more confused and my caps are both black.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
It should be the one near the condenser. If your A/C runs at all, it will be on the line that gets cold with the system running.

Has your system been retrofitted? Usually when this is done, they replace the charger cap with a blue one. If it hasn't, you're going to need to get it done unless you have an old can of R12 kicking around.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By retrofitted, do you mean changed from r12 to r134? I have a 97 if so.

It should be the one near the condenser.
I thought it would be the one near the firewall since the recharge instructions say on most late model gm and ford, its on the accumulator drier.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Your car's A/C is the R134a system. No retrofitting is required. Here's a diagram to help you locate the low pressure service port (from the 1997 Service Manual):

If you were to add a can of R134a, you'd hook it up to the port indicated by the number 5 in the drawing.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You guys realize you can still get R12, right? Contrary to what DuPont would like you to believe, R12 is still available as are a few substitutes that work in an R12 system.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
which ones are the substitutes? i was going to go get it done in mexico, i didn't know about any substitutes. info please,

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I have about 120 pounds of R12 in my garage. I paid a fortune for it and now nobody wants it...
Not that I will give it away or anything.

Darrin

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Yeah, I have a few cans of R12 I picked out of someone's garage once. Landlord kicked the guy out and gave us free run of anything he didn't take with him :D

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok now im really getting urked. There is NO valve on that line as you pointed out. I was hoping there would be. But the only other port is on this "can", woudl this be it?

and to show you the line...

oh and whats a shraeder valve? a bike tire valve?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just did a retrofit and charged my old r-12 system to R134a and it is cold!

A/C is the one mod that I gotta have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts