1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
11,905 Posts
Wikipedia is on a 24 hour blackout in protest. So your Wiki link isn't going to work for a while.

Google is also protesting in their own classic Google way. I went to their homepage to do a search and found their great - not so subtle - protest. :tongue: ... Which is linked to this page.

With the great number of - as Foxnews put it - "blue-chip websites" protesting this proposal it will go nowhere. I can only hope that any version of this proposed legislation never gets anywere.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I am always getting emails from demandprogress.org or something that ask me to click on a petition. I dont think there should be any censorship. I suppose this is the same thing. I signed google's also.

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
Yeah, I remember sending an "auto letter" to congress a month or so about it. I doubt it will pass either, but we need to take action if we want to be sure of that. Censoring the internet isn't the way to stop piracy. Do that, you'll tick off every "normal" user out there who is affected by it, and the clever folks you're trying to affect will just find a way around it anyway.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love for the scams and piracy crap to be stopped I am 100% for that, but I think the major problem with congress censoring the internet is it would go a lot farther than just scams and piracy. Congress has proved numerous times to be very irresponsible and immoral yet above all completely incompetent. Approval ratings are below 13%... I wont go any farther than that so that I do not offend anyone but I think it is ridiculous that this is even considered a possibility.

And TM I just posted a link to the main page just to show that they are protesting. I need to add myself to the Google page.

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
Yep yep, if they pass any kind of internet censorship law, it sets a precedent for more laws that take away even more online freedoms.

·
Super Moderator
11,905 Posts
I would love for the scams and piracy crap to be stopped I am 100% for that, but I think the major problem with congress censoring the internet is it would go a lot farther than just scams and piracy. Congress has proved numerous times to be very irresponsible and immoral yet above all completely incompetent. Approval ratings are below 13%... I wont go any farther than that so that I do not offend anyone but I think it is ridiculous that this is even considered a possibility.

And TM I just posted a link to the main page just to show that they are protesting. I need to add myself to the Google page.
I see.

FWIW, I signed the Google petition.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
And congress doesn't have better things to do? Sounds like our federal legislative branch is full of misled, hypocritical morons.

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
I'd say it's mostly that they're all after the $upport the movie industry will give them when it comes time for re-election.

Mods, if this is too political... please delete! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,905 Posts
I'd say it's mostly that they're all after the $upport the movie industry will give them when it comes time for re-election.
I'm Trunk Monkey and I approve this message. :D :rolleyes:

Mods, if this is too political... please delete! :)
We're not there yet. :tongue:

As long as this thread doesn't turn personal towards any certain, TCCoA member, political office or politician I'll let it ride.

Just keep it on topic and civil.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
"The internet is one of the only things in our society that works, and by far the freest market on Earth ...so, of course the government is going to do what they can to wreck it through regulations."

I concur .

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The government wanted control of the internet for a LONG time now. This is their way of trying to get control, which will never happen. I'm getting REALLY REALLY sick and tired of hearing about the government, be it state, local or federal, trying to trample all over our rights. I say a revolution is in order. It needs to happen soon before they get too big and there is nothing WE THE PEOPLE can do about it. They all seem to forget that they are there to represent US. They should be held to the same standards as any private sector job. You suck at doing your job......... you're FIRED. No warning, no waiting till election day, no pension for life, no benefits for life, NOTHING.

sorry if that's a little much, but I've really gotten fed up with all forms of government. I have never been a political person, but the way things have been going lately, it forces you to be one.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The government wanted control of the internet for a LONG time now. This is their way of trying to get control, which will never happen. I'm getting REALLY REALLY sick and tired of hearing about the government, be it state, local or federal, trying to trample all over our rights. I say a revolution is in order. It needs to happen soon before they get too big and there is nothing WE THE PEOPLE can do about it. They all seem to forget that they are there to represent US. They should be held to the same standards as any private sector job. You suck at doing your job......... you're FIRED. No warning, no waiting till election day, no pension for life, no benefits for life, NOTHING.

sorry if that's a little much, but I've really gotten fed up with all forms of government. I have never been a political person, but the way things have been going lately, it forces you to be one.
+1 again, hit the nail on the head there.

·
Registered
966 Posts
FWIW, you can bypass the wikipedia thing by hitting escape before the layover loads. I was doing a project at school and figured it out for my self.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Google was blacked out in protest too. You can electronically sign a petition (there is a link at google.com) - I did.

I signed the petition set up by google lol.
Yeh, what he said! lol

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
FWIW, you can bypass the wikipedia thing by hitting escape before the layover loads. I was doing a project at school and figured it out for my self.
I had no issues all day using wikipedia weirdly. No tricks, no refresh, ect. I'd type the address, search, and find what I was looking for.

PS I would have killed for wikipedia when I was in high school, I seem to recall it starting right around the time I graduated:redmad:

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
I know for a fact Wiki was up and somewhat well known when I was a senior, and that we were told not to use it "because anyone can change it". :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
I remember they told us that about cliff notes, I seem to recall wiki coming out later (or I just didn't notice). The way I got myself through HS would have made wiki an immediate bookmark. The photo finish graduation I had certainly wouldn't have been such a nail biter lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts