Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have 4 sources and two torque numbers:

Factory OEM Manual (94 T’Bird): 12 ft. lbs. then 85 – 95 degrees
Haynes Manual: 18 – 25 ft. lbs. then 90 degrees
Online web site: 18 – 25 ft. lbs. then 90 degrees
My local engine builder (looked it up somewhere): 23 ft. lbs. then 90 degrees

So what do I torque them to? I usually always lean towards the OEM manuals, but 12 ft. lbs. is a good clip from 18 ft. lbs. especially with these small bolts. Or does it not matter that much with the 90 deg?

People that have rebuilt engines: What do you torque yours to?

They are at 12 ft. lbs. now awaiting either more torque or 90 deg. :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
i did my buddies 4.6 to 12 first, then 90 degrees, and then do it all over again, retorque to 18 with no problems yet. i know where your coming from with differnt numbers and different sources but i thought 12 was a lil loose for me.

make sure u double check everything, nothing sucks more than have u pull the motor again

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am learning to HATE torque to yeild bolts.

I've built many engines and I have a habit to "double check" all the torque settings just to make sure.

Can't do that with the TTY bolts. :mad:

It feels like I haven't built the engine right!

And I agree that 12 feels a little on the low side! :2huh:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Allright I'm stumped.I've rebuilt a few motors,none of these new 4.6's,but I've never heard of this 85-95 degrees that you guys are talking about.Someone please enlighten me.I like to consider myself a smart guy but this is escaping me.Thanks.Jim

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the new and improved torque techniques!!

A while back the engineers determined that clamping forces between items were better (more consistent) if the bolts were “stretched” to a certain length instead of just torqued to a specific number. So they found out that if you torque to a set value, and then turn the bolt another “x” degrees, you get a much better clamping force.

The “x” degrees varies from bolt to bolt. And here’s the catch: TTY bolts can’t be reused! So on the 4.6L’s: head bolts = new, rod bolts = new, and main cap bolts = new….. Thank you Ford!!

And, you can’t “recheck” the bolt, since it is by “angle”. And TTY gauge is VERY handy instead of just “eyeballing” it. Us “old folks” that have been building engines for years have usually double checked out torque reading before going onto the next task. It just doesn’t feel right, turning it 90 deg and then leaving it alone. It’s like I haven’t done something!!

Do a search on the internet and it will explain it in a lot better detail than I can.

Hope this helps some. :D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That does explain it.I knew of the new style bolts that can't be reused,and need to be streched to the proper length when installed.I just never heard the degree specification as part of the torque procedure.Thanks for the clarification. Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts