TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I qualify for the cash for clunkers program.

The car has a few problems, but overall has been the best car I have ever owned. Sending it to the crusher truly hurts my soul.

I guess what I am asking for is for fellow MN12 lovers to help me with this decision.

The car:

1993 5.0 150,000 miles. All original. Fully loaded.

Current problems:

--Leaking rear main seal(slow but steady)

--Vibration at hwy speeds

--Power steering 'pushes' back in sustained tight corners.

--Needs a full tune up and fluid change.

My fear is that fixing the above issues could get pretty spendy--more than the car is worth most likely. Especially considering I do not know what is causing problems #2 and #3.

With the CfC program I would get $4500 for her--about $3500 more than I could hope to get on trade or private sale.

I could get a hyundai accent for 9900, minus the 4500 = 5400 - 1500 rebates = 3900 for a brand new car with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty and that gets more than twice the MPG. Pretty damned tempting.

Other considerations:

The tbird is my second car( I have an 09 vibe), but my wife depends on it as a daily driver.

If the tbirds tranny goes out, its junk(because of the cost to replace)

Tbird gets 18ish mpg.

Hyundai is no where near as nice a car.

Forgive me, I am just rambling. I love my bird.

Opinions please....

·
Registered
92 Posts
For problem #2 check for any bad tires or wheel out of balance.

For problem #3 get your alignment checked.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For problem #2 check for any bad tires or wheel out of balance.

For problem #3 get your alignment checked.

My local les Schwab is tired of seeing me about this already ;-). They swear that my alignment, tires and balance are all perfect. I have taken it to several different shops and they all say the same thing.

My guess is that #2 is either a tranny or motor mount bad, tranny tail loose, bad/loose driveline or a bunch of worn out front end parts--and thats the problem. Going after these things one at a time will get spendy fast.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have bad trans mount and rear diff mounts on my car and I do not have any Vibration at hwy speeds. The only other thing that I could thank of is your drive shaft u-joints.

For the steering problem check your front bushings on your control arm. The strut rod bushings only cost $75 from autozone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
recently I have been thinking about the same thing. I'd rather spend my extra cash fixing up my Mustang than worrying about the problems with the T-bird.

·
Registered
170 Posts
recently I have been thinking about the same thing. I'd rather spend my extra cash fixing up my Mustang than worrying about the problems with the T-bird.
Take that 302 out of that 'stang and drop it into that bird........they are much nicer cars IMHO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take that 302 out of that 'stang and drop it into that bird........they are much nicer cars IMHO
I love my Bird but not that much.

Besides, every site that I have visited says that my 94 Bird doesn't even qualify for Cash For Clunkers because apparently Fueleconomy.gov says the birds "new" estimate MPG is 19, but it needs to be 18 to qualify.

So, a 1994 Thunderbird 4.6 is too fuel efficient for this program? haha, that's funny.

·
Registered
170 Posts
...And Safooma, Throw a cover over that bird, or keep it in a garage, and slowly but surely, little by little, fix it up. You will regret giving it up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I love my Bird but not that much.

Besides, every site that I have visited says that my 94 Bird doesn't even qualify for Cash For Clunkers because apparently Fueleconomy.gov says the birds "new" estimate MPG is 19, but it needs to be 18 to qualify.

So, a 1994 Thunderbird 4.6 is too fuel efficient for this program? haha, that's funny.
Well to each his own:eek:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The biggest downside to the trade is you'll have an econobox that will be devalued so fast your head will spin. The fact that you still like your bird (even in its current state, which is admittedly frustrating) and in 3-5 years you'll likely loathe the Hyundai. How many 10 year old Hyundais does anyone even consider fixing?

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
this guy doesn't seem like much of a car guy anyway so let him get the a to b driver he's looking for. me and my girl are looking for hyunday for a brand new car just to get her around- nothing special. my coug on the other hand is my pride and joy- i love workin on her and drivin her. i dont ever wanna scrap her just fix everything 1 by 1

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Don't misunderstand me--I do love my bird. It's looks great and is very cool and I enjoy it alot. Unfortunately this isn't the only consideration at the moment. If it weren't for the CfC program I would not be considering doing this at all, but when/how else would I ever get $4500 for my bird?

While I am aware that the hyundai will depreciate very quickly, starting out only owing $4k for a new car will ensure that I won't be underwater on it anytime soon. I am sure I wont like it very much though...although it will be primarily be the wifes car, and she would much rather have a hatchback anyway(kids, dog, shopping, etc). While I could just trade her cars, I do a 60 mile round trip commute every day, so the difference in gas milage between the vibe(35 mpg combined) and the tbird(17 mpg combined), is a major concern.

I think we are gonna go test drive a hyundai just to see if we can stand it or not. It may be so damn small that we just pass anyway.

Thanks everybody.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
well... i'm looking into this program too. i may be able to save me a lot of work if i remove my 351W and 5 speed, crush her, then take that $$ and buy a new cougar in minter condish. then drop my engine and tranny back into her

·
Registered
469 Posts
well... i'm looking into this program too. i may be able to save me a lot of work if i remove my 351W and 5 speed, crush her, then take that $$ and buy a new cougar in minter condish. then drop my engine and tranny back into her
I may be wrong but you have to buy a NEW car with this deal.

I personally wouldn't crush my bird, and i defiantly wouldn't buy a Hyundai but what you could do is always buy a new bird to play around in and work on. You can get these cars for dirt cheap but that's my opinion.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts