TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone remembers I've been battling this lean condition for months....

I've replaced just about everything you can name...

I've looked up and down for a Vaccum leak to no avail.

and I'm 4 months past due on my State inspection cause it won't pass (check engine light)

I'm only getting 2 codes... Lean bank 1 and 2

I found this article in the tech articles.. Can anyone elaborate on this issue about the Crank Sensor and possibly offer any suggestions why I may be having a misfire and going into limp mode?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

BK
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/exhaust/index.html#

if the link doesn't work.. it's the article under exhaust about OBD II's Hegos and 02's

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been reading the other threads about running lean and haven't found anything that sounds familiar.

can anyone suggest some common places I would have a Vaccum leak and maybe even some not so common... I'm willing to except I may have missed something

Someone here descibed one to me but it was fine .. just looking for more suggestions.

Also, if this helps any.

The car runs fine when the codes are cleared out.. then it cuts off at a redlight or something and Hello check engine light. then limp mode starts until I give it some gas and it magically fixes itself until the next redlight..

BK

·
Registered
92 Posts
Gosh...feel your pain. Have you removed the aftermarket chip/maf/thermostat/etc. and tried running the car on the stock computer calibration? If all else fails, simplify...Sounds like you may have a bad chip? A completely random thing to check: I once pulled a lean bank code when I soaked my KNN in a rain storm and the engine choked up. Perhaps something upstream of the MAF?
The crank sensor usually causes a hard starting condition when it goes bad. It's also a b***h to remove due to the discharging and removal of the a/c compressor to reach it.
good luck!

Michael

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
My lean problem on bank 1 was caused by a BAD BAD BAD short caused by bare wires in the harness. I don't think my car ever went into limp mode, but it would ping like crazy. Ruined the front driver's side O2 also(brand new). Good luck!
-Rob

·
Registered
105 Posts
BiLLNC:

I had a P0174 bank #2 lean. Look very, very carefully at your PCV. If you have 2 vacuum hoses going to it check them BOTH out. My problem was the smaller hose that has a elbow. It was cracked and dry rotted along the bend of the elbow. This hose is only about 4 inches long. That was the source of my vacuum leak. Also the MAF sensor contains 2 wire bobbins. One was fairly clean but the other was loaded with dirt. You can read my post below, it explains what i did to solve the CEL. I hope it helps you.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?threadid=25732

-hooD :cool:

·
Registered
633 Posts
hood I noticed I have some not so perfect rubber elbows near the pcv and that long thin tube that runs down the pass. side valve cover.

I know I can just get a replacement pcv from a store, but where did you get the elbows?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am not sure what info you have on vac leaks but my 94 had a leak once. It was a tee on the back pass. side of the intake, I made my oun, pro. fixed
FASTFORD!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
RyanG:

I had some vacuum hose of the correct diameter laying around the garage. I put on a piece that was about 8 inches long compared to the smaller elbow from the factory. The longer piece allowed me to achieve the desired bend without kinking the hose. It worked beautifully.

-hooD :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THanks for all of your input... I actually got my car inspected today and passed... I've replaced the top elbow hose on the PCV cause mine was also cracked, but it was taped up with electrical tape (i didn't do it, but i overlooked it.)

I didn't have the chip installed at the time I made the post... actually I just got done and I have a great new problem....

it won't start... fan is running but nothing... it just turns and turns and nothing..

any clues... this problem sounds like something I've heard about 2 years ago.. don't remember the fix...

any help??

thanks for all of your responses...

I may make a whole new thread for this new issue..

P.s> is dennis R around maybe he could point me in the right direction.

BK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts