TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Iam replacing the drivers front lower control arm. I got the lower shock bolt, cam bolt, and strut rod bolt loose until removal of the ball joint. I cant seem to break the ball joint free though. I have the nut almost off. I have wrecked my pickle fork in the process using a 10 pound hammer. The question is what other tool will get this seperated without destroying it. Ive done a few of these and never had this kind of issue.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Well, this won't help with removal of the nut from the threads, you will want that off before you use this, since it will no longer be pressed in and the ball will spin in the socket:

this tool works for ball joints, both sides of the swaybar endlinks (which are smaller ball and sockets themselves), tie rod ends.

I wasted a couple of pickleforks on mine, and I have zero rust/corrosion issues on my desert living cars.

Maybe 6 bucks at harbor freight, literally 30 seconds later each pressed in stud for all the things I listed above were seperated.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I have in the past, simply removed the cotter pin and backed off the nut only a couple rounds then rested the car's weight on the wheel and hit the lower part of the spindle with a hammer and it pops loose.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
take the nut completely off, shoot the ball joint with pb blaster, and whack the stud with a small sledge. mine took about ten strikes with a 3 pound sledge, and it popped right out of the spindle. i didnt have to use a pickle fork.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
The TRICK is to whack the spindle on the sides of the ball joint first. Then I usually give the ball joint one good whack on top and it usually pops right out. If the ball joint / boot are still good and the threads get smashed a tiny bit you can use a thread file and straighten it back out. :D

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
my local automotive store had that its called a pitman arm puller. Works awesome. I couldnt get mine to break loose either and took me 10 secs lol. Id buy one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts