TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister in law wrecked their 1994 Thunderbird with a 4.6L V8 in it. My friend wants to buy the car from me since i purchased it from my brother. My friend has a 1992 Mustang with a 2.3L in it. He wants to do a conversion and use this car for the engine/tranny and rear end if possible.

Is this a viable project for him, or should I not waste his time???:confused::confused::confused:

Frank

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
He'd be better off finding a GT to swap with.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Rear subframe is too wide for sure so he can scrap that part of the idea unless he's good with a welder. Might be able to use the engine and trans if he's good with a wiring diagram and soldering iron. I'd find a Mustang computer to run it with though... I've read there are kits/k members available to put mod motors in a Fox but not sure where you'd get one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I actually wanted to do the same thing myself once (still do) but its not an easy project. Not sure of what all bugs you would have to work out but I know there is some customization involved. It has been done though and there is a website dedicated to people who have done it. I think it is Modularfoxmustangs.com. If he really wants to do the conversion you should check out their website.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It's really not that hard of a project if you anticipate the bugs you may run into. I had to consider this when I swapped a 96 GT drivetrain into a 95 V6 shell.

It would be easier (and better) to use a stang GT donor though. That way you get engine/trans, clutch or auto shifter mechanisms you need to use, as well as the rear end from a stang since a Tbird rear end won't work. I believe I've read that you can modify an SN95/New Edge K-member to work in the fox (or at least buy an aftermarket one specifically for a fox with a mod motor swap), and the wiring harness would probably need "less" modification since the platform between the fox and newer cars are so similar. If you use a stang computer you will also need to deal with getting the PATS system to work in the older car, or just disable the feature in the EEC with a tune.

And at the end of the project, you'd at least have a 96-04 engine and trans in the car instead of a crappy 94 Tbird engine/trans.

I'd have typed this out t other day, but I didn't have time. Good luck with the project.

-Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts