TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
there ARE corrosive effects.. even if not on the rubber hoses.. the ethanol blend fuel is enough to eat at the cadmium coating in your fuel rails...

·
Registered
600 Posts
there ARE corrosive effects.. even if not on the rubber hoses.. the ethanol blend fuel is enough to eat at the cadmium coating in your fuel rails...
How long would that take before you noticed that the coating is being removed?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
one tank... the girlfriend's gt got filled with e10.... once... got a CEL... engine running lean. bank one. clogged fuel rails. end of story.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
one tank... the girlfriend's gt got filled with e10.... once... got a CEL... engine running lean. bank one. clogged fuel rails. end of story.
I am not sure the ethanol had anything to do with this, necessarily. :zdunno:

Did you change the fuel filter? Was it clogged? I'll bet it has had more than one tank of "E10" run through it. . . .gasoline has had this mix now for what, 6 - 9 months? My '00 GT runs "E10" all the time like a champ!

Is it "chipped"? The tune may have something to do with a "false" lean also. . . .:zdunno:

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
E10 is commonplace at stations around here,and no problems at all like you're describing. That car had other issues or problems with the fuel that were not related to the Ethanol content at all..
JL

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
ill agree with JL, there was something else wrong, and i doubt its related to E10.

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
E10 has been used for several years, not 6-9 months. At least in this part of the country it's difficult to find a station that isn't running a 10% Ethanol mix in their fuel.

There are other issues than the corrosive one to running E85 however. "Tricking" the computer is never a good thing. Even the manufacturers go about offering the ability of running E85 in a different way. Aside from that, ethanol doesn't give the same amount of energy as gasoline at the same compression ratio. You won't get good fuel economy with Ethanol compared to gasoline and in the end the only thing you will accomplish is a lower emissions vehicle. You will still spend as much or more as you have on gasoline and you'll have a car that doesn't run as well.

I have read about a guy that did a custom buildup of a Mustang to run E85 and he did a 14:1 compression ratio and ran a turbo and put out an insane amount of power. Of course this setup required something like 160lb. injectors and a large fuel pump and large fuel lines.

Right now Ethanol is not a simple solution. It takes more energy to create ethanol than it does gasoline. It does't offer as much energy. It puts more strain on our corn crop (today since it is primarily made from corn) which causes that crop to rise in cost. The rise in cost of corn comes to the consumers in many ways which include a rise in beef prices as well as other corn related products. The impact on the rest of the world due to the increased cost of corn as a result of increased Ethanol usage is still undetermined since corn is also a grain that is used to feed third world countries. Ethanol's contribution to a cleaner environment is questionable when all of the factors are examined. I'm not saying that it is bad but that we all need to consider these other issues when we think of using Ethanol.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
E10 has been used for several years, not 6-9 months. At least in this part of the country it's difficult to find a station that isn't running a 10% Ethanol mix in their fuel.

There are other issues than the corrosive one to running E85 however. "Tricking" the computer is never a good thing. Even the manufacturers go about offering the ability of running E85 in a different way. Aside from that, ethanol doesn't give the same amount of energy as gasoline at the same compression ratio. You won't get good fuel economy with Ethanol compared to gasoline and in the end the only thing you will accomplish is a lower emissions vehicle. You will still spend as much or more as you have on gasoline and you'll have a car that doesn't run as well.

I have read about a guy that did a custom buildup of a Mustang to run E85 and he did a 14:1 compression ratio and ran a turbo and put out an insane amount of power. Of course this setup required something like 160lb. injectors and a large fuel pump and large fuel lines.

Right now Ethanol is not a simple solution. It takes more energy to create ethanol than it does gasoline. It does't offer as much energy. It puts more strain on our corn crop (today since it is primarily made from corn) which causes that crop to rise in cost. The rise in cost of corn comes to the consumers in many ways which include a rise in beef prices as well as other corn related products. The impact on the rest of the world due to the increased cost of corn as a result of increased Ethanol usage is still undetermined since corn is also a grain that is used to feed third world countries. Ethanol's contribution to a cleaner environment is questionable when all of the factors are examined. I'm not saying that it is bad but that we all need to consider these other issues when we think of using Ethanol.

I would just like to add/correct one thing. Ethanol does not burn any cleaner than gasoline, it simply does not introduce anything new into the enviornment's carbon cycle.

I'm holding out for hydrogen, I think that's still a long way off though.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I will be converting my Bird to E85 this Summer. I am doing it to get the higher octane, rayjrt than needing $6 a gallon race gas. We have several E85 stations in the area, with more going in each month.

On E85 I will be able to run high boost with 10-1 compression on the street, and refuel at the pump. I am shopping for a large canister type fuel filter that is alcohol compatable, that has 3/4 inlet/outlet now.

If I had a blown EFI car, I would have a flip chip on it, with one of the postions with a E85 tune. Get the system sized to handle the increased demand, and have fun....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

I agree randy, but theres other ways of getting ethanol, and we are not really exploring them as we should.

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
I agree randy, but theres other ways of getting ethanol, and we are not really exploring them as we should.
Based on everything I've seen so far, those other ways are not all that great really. They are good from the standpoint of using different material to create ethanol but they do still require a considerable amount of energy to make ethanol.

We should definitely keep trying however.

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
A bunch of the guys I used to race bikes with went alcohol in the 70's...

The change was pretty easy; double the size of all the jets in the carb, and tune from there.

Mileage was approx half the gas mileage.

Since we were doing ISDT racing, there were some godawful gas tanks needed; I ran 3.5 gallons, I saw a guy run out and dnf with a 6 gallon tank...

A 6 gallon tank on a 200cc dirt bike is incredible; talk about ruining the balance...I saw more than one of these guys totally lose it during a trials section, when the fuel sloshed to the other side suddenly!

Alcohol was going back out about the time I got out of racing; '81 or so...

·
Registered
321 Posts
about the hydrogen , they really arent that far off on that europian engineers made a bmw that runs on hydrgen its accually a sharp ride ,but the gas companies like to dish out money to keep it on the downlow so they get there money its all about greed ,anyways plus the fact of how explosive hydrogen is imagine car accidents then ...

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
about the hydrogen , they really arent that far off on that europian engineers made a bmw that runs on hydrgen its accually a sharp ride ,but the gas companies like to dish out money to keep it on the downlow so they get there money its all about greed ,anyways plus the fact of how explosive hydrogen is imagine car accidents then ...

Oh, I know vehicles that run on hydrogen can be made. Its the technology related to production, storage, and distrobution that is lacking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts