TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was performed on an 89 LX T-Bird with ABS that had a bad brake pump motor. This procedure was in lieu of a $500 assembly purchase, but will remove ABS from the vehicle..

I bought the booster, master cylinder and rear lines from an 89 LX w/o ABS and with rear drums. As it turned out, I did not need the lines and removing/buying them was a waste of time and money. All you need is the booster, master cylinder and a fitting to plug the front passenger side line out from the M/C.

When you pull your set-up, you will see a foam pad covering a mounting hole in the firewall. Remove it. Also, there is a rubber plug on the brake pedal assembly in the corresponding location. Remove it as well. To install the new booster, you will have to remove your wiper arms (turn them on with the key on and turn the key off when they are in the straight up position, then lift up on them and slide the clip on the bottom over for removal), the plastic cowling below the windshield on the driver AND passenger side, the plastic framing below that (driver side only) and the windshield wiper motor. Don't let the list scare you, it's really straight forward.

Once you have the new booster and M/C in, connect the vacuum line to the plugged fitting on the T that attaches to the plastic cowling on the driver's side below the windshield. Once that is done, the stock lines can be bent by hand (be careful not to crimp them!) to the new locations. The fittings on the stock lines all mate up with the new M/C. The driver side is for the front brakes and the passenger side rear output hole (black) is for the back brakes. Get them all hooked up and plug the front hole on the passenger side with a bolt or something ( I used a brake line fitting and filled the line hole with JB weld). Bleed them REALLY WELL starting with the passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front and then driver front. I went around again just to make sure I got all of the air and old fluid out.

I hope this proves to be useful information, as I could not find any on this subject. If pricing at the bone-yards around you is the same as around here, you should be in it for about $60

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Um, your brakes are still hydraulic. :D

And you're saying that the 89 T'Bird did not have vacuum assist? :beek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine had the hydraulic pump assist, which utilizes a pump motor, relay and accumulator ball to provide the assisting brake power. If these parts fail, they are very expensive to replace. This is an alternative to replacing the stock parts.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I think you are confused, but don't hold me to it. And I'm sure someone will correct me. :D

To my knowledge no MN12 came with the HydroBoost system. Your system used a hydraulic pump for the ABS system, not the overall braking system. I'm 99% sure that all MN12's had vacuum assisted brakes, and some had the ABS system. My Haynes manual (which is all I have here at work with me) doesn't mention anything about the HydroBoost system in the Brake section.

But I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Sounds right to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if you're right, my car was not only missing the vacuum booster, but there was a hydraulic motor in it's place by mistake.....

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
89lxbirdie said:
I Win, I Win!!
No, you would have only “won” if you had posted that information.... I conceded.... henceforth, you did not "win". j/k :D :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

And sorry about that. I learn something new everyday!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(cheesy afterschool special music playing softly in the background)

Thanks........If you learned something new, then I think we're all winners here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts