TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
It looks like you retained the factory rack fitting elbows(the ones known to leak sometimes), is that true? My HP line has a ever so slight leak, not even drops just the line get oily every few months. For all the newish people why dont you show them the factory convoluted line you replaced. Preferably the old one from your car since most are going to look like that one, dirty and oily.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I'm going to replace those two fittings at the rack itself, since they can leak in two spots.
I was talking to dirtydog a couple days ago and he was throwing around the idea of making some SS power steering lines. I really hope he was thinking of incorporating that idea into it. Right now mine are fine but if you for any reason bump them too hard they can and will leak. I'd like to see what you use GM. I was even dreaming about welding in new motor mount perch that allows more access to the fittings in case of servicing. Think about it no ford goofball fitting and the possibility to put some real wrench on it. Maybe its not worth the effort but hey one can dream. Id like to replace the factory return line as well but I dont know what the cooler end fitting is going to be. Just ditching that long retarded factory line is really cool though. XRX4.6 is awesome for showing off the pics.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Replacing the 90 degree elbow is a PITA, I ended up folding mine over since it was soo flimsy and old. It is possible to change that fitting without dropping the rack or pulling the motor, it takes alot of paitence. If anyone decides to replace their stock PS lines with AN line I suggest replacing that elbow going into the rack. It's about 80 bucks from Ford. Glad your lines worked out Matt, they look great!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
looks good Matt!

now, see if yall can help me with this one. I want to loop my two lines together, which eliminates the pump. I would like to adapt or just make a line where both these two are cut.

Anyone have an idea?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Replacing the 90 degree elbow is a PITA, I ended up folding mine over since it was soo flimsy and old. It is possible to change that fitting without dropping the rack or pulling the motor, it takes alot of paitence. If anyone decides to replace their stock PS lines with AN line I suggest replacing that elbow going into the rack. It's about 80 bucks from Ford. Glad your lines worked out Matt, they look great!
yup, way too expensive, when an AN setup is the same if not cheaper. My rack is off the car, so it won't be too bad to set it up. Simply gonna use a 90° or maybe a 135° -6AN fitting in place of it.

·
Super Moderator
16,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trick with the -AN 90* fitting at the rack will be clearance as usual. You would something like this (in place of the straight hose end) which would require the hose to be attached while tightening it to the adapter at the rack(the adapter will be the same). Definitely possible but definitely still a pain.

Splattered, I added a pic of the stock line and a description to the original post :thumbsup:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Awesome job Matt! I will definitely be doing this when I put the new motor and trans in.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I need to disgnose my PS system, experiencing the typical groan whenever turning while off idle. Strangly no noise when turning while AT idle!

If I could assembly my crack team of MN12 wrenches {Rob/Matt/Jesse(?)} I'd love to rework, and learn about, my PS system, how about it gents?;)

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
I'm doing this mod; man, this hose looks short, compared to the original. :)

Has anyone had any problems with this mod?

EDIT: Mod is done; Finally does not leak.

I had to use one of the teflon seals from a steering pump kit I have to make the adapter seal to the pump.

Also, 10" is pretty short; I'd go with 12". :) We call that "Tennessee size" down here...

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
My power steering pump is now making noise proportional to engine speed; I'm thinking trapped air somewhere, or possibly the fluid-soaked belt slipping. I soaped the belt, and rinsed it.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
When installing the adapter to the power steering pump, be sure not to overtighten it. There is a small plastic lip inside that if damaged will let the adapter fully seat and restrict flow. IF this happens don't fret, M14 nylon oil plug washers make for good leak free spacers...

Do you think this could be the cause of an extremely loud steering pump, full assist, and pulsating steering?

It's a new pump, maybe 20k miles, and was fine before I replaced the line...

·
Super Moderator
16,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm thinking so, that lip below the threads if too far in will block one of the orifices in the pump, which I believe might be for EVO. That's why I spaced it out with the washers.

I've been meaning to try this style adapter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-670530/?rtype=10

These use a Teflon seal like the factory line and are likely meant for our style systems.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
I'm thinking so, that lip below the threads if too far in will block one of the orifices in the pump, which I believe might be for EVO. That's why I spaced it out with the washers.

I've been meaning to try this style adapter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-670530/?rtype=10

These use a Teflon seal like the factory line and are likely meant for our style systems.
We'll find out; I just ordered two from Summit tonight. :)

I think flow is restricted at the elbow fitting; I'll know by Saturday afternoon, lol.

Thanks!
:)

I'll post when I know more.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts

Yep, that adapter corrects the issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
After much frustration, I finally have this drivable. :facepalm:

As usual, I made this much more difficult than it needed to be. :)

The blue adapter is still too long; it has to have the thick washer as you showed, or it hits inside the steering pump. The other end is fine.

I damaged my steering pump with the Aerotech fittings; they are definitely too long. This was the source of my noise. :) Pieces rubbing the rotor, lol.

The length is too short at 10" of tubing; 12" worked better. I think I have a collapsed motor mount as well. :)

I fixed the pump, and all is well.

Does anyone have a partnumber on the OEM teflon steering-tube-nut seals?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If you are talking about those white teflon seals that go on the lines at the rack and at the pump, I always just buy the dorman kit they sell at the parts store. The nearest Ford dealer is 30 miles from me each direction. The dorman box has one large and one slightly smaller seal. I practically never use the smaller one.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts