TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
After much frustration, I finally have this drivable. :facepalm:

As usual, I made this much more difficult than it needed to be. :)

The blue adapter is still too long; it has to have the thick washer as you showed, or it hits inside the steering pump. The other end is fine.

I damaged my steering pump with the Aerotech fittings; they are definitely too long. This was the source of my noise. :) Pieces rubbing the rotor, lol.

The length is too short at 10" of tubing; 12" worked better. I think I have a collapsed motor mount as well. :)

I fixed the pump, and all is well.

Does anyone have a partnumber on the OEM teflon steering-tube-nut seals?
So for clarification what fitting did you use at the pump? Also how thick of a nylon washer needs to be used? Could you get away with using one of those bluish-purple nylon drain plug gaskets?

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
So for clarification what fitting did you use at the pump? Also how thick of a nylon washer needs to be used? Could you get away with using one of those bluish-purple nylon drain plug gaskets?
I'll post up a pic of the marks on the adapters I used; that's pretty descriptive. :)

It looks like the pump side needs about 6mm ground off the steering pump end of the fitting. I'll eventually need to revisit this, and I'll use the existing marks as a guide. :)

I'm talking about the blue fittings in my post above, part numbers are referenced in this thread.

The big thing to take away from this is: Don't go any deeper than factory. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Drove Lazarus home today with no power steering. :)

(Man, am I a wuss... :rolleyes: Gonna have to hit the weights, lol.)

Blew replacement hose (non-an, auto store type) today.
This was the last thing I tried to fix the noise; it didn't leak, so I left it.

I dropped it at a friends shop for a rack + pump; 100 miles on a steering pump + with no fluid has to be bad for it. :)
I'm conceding defeat; I'll have someone the car isn't mad at to fix it. :D

Even tho it's mad at me, this is the third time I've broken this car and it made it home...

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Just bought the parts to do this to my car. Ill post pics. SO is anyone going to grind their fitting down first? I'd rather just get a washer. Is this something I can find at autozone or O rly's or NAPA, and maybe home depot.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It's possible the depth is different between the various makes of fittings. Some might block the orifaces in the pump others might not.

I used a pair of m14 nylon oil plugs from autozone or something. There's a slight weep from it but not enough to effect the fluid level by much in the last few months.

When I go to the "right" adapter with mine eventually I'll probably sandwitch the dorman teflon seals between a M14 steel washer from the hardware store.

·
3,868 Posts
It's possible the depth is different between the various makes of fittings. Some might block the orifaces in the pump others might not.

I used a pair of m14 nylon oil plugs from autozone or something. There's a slight weep from it but not enough to effect the fluid level by much in the last few months.

When I go to the "right" adapter with mine eventually I'll probably sandwitch the dorman teflon seals between a M14 steel washer from the hardware store.
What about using some kind of rtv between the washers to prevent leaks? Which kind would work? I have grey and copper to choose from lol.

What about just grinding the fitting down? I have a bench grinder just want to know if the fitting would get ruined by jsut grinding it down 6mm or so. I wish I had it in my hand to know for sure but its going to be few days before it gets here. I guess Ill use the high temp copper I have to just be sure nothing gets out.

Oh yeah Im also interested knowing where to get those teflon seals if someone could be kind enough to provide that.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Looking at that - may it not be better to use a M14 washer between the two nylon seals, so they have something to seal against?

Just thinking aloud here.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
The blue fittings sealed fine with the standard steering seal, which was teflon.

For that matter, so did the aerotech... which wasted the pump in the first place for me.

They were easy to install; I broke the pump with a 4" crescent wrench. :)

The blue ones were ~1/8" too long, from the marks on them, lol.

My system is working fine on new stuff, btw. :facepalm:

The rack was full of shavings from the pump...

·
3,868 Posts
The blue fittings sealed fine with the standard steering seal, which was teflon.

For that matter, so did the aerotech... which wasted the pump in the first place for me.

They were easy to install; I broke the pump with a 4" crescent wrench. :)

The blue ones were ~1/8" too long, from the marks on them, lol.

My system is working fine on new stuff, btw. :facepalm:

The rack was full of shavings from the pump...
Which blue ones are 1/8th too long ? the russel or the aerotech?

THe russels look like they cant take any trimming because you run into the threads right away.

Can I pick up one of these seals at any auto parts store? I certainly dont feel like paying 4 bucks shipping on something so tiny.

I have aerotech on the way should I just stock with that and use 2 oil pan washers?

·
3,868 Posts
I would definitely go with the russel fittings.

Ok I'd like to add that if you have the oil gauge variable unit mod done to your car this mod becomes super tricky.

And the clearance is barely there. SO much so I had to cut the little wire stud on the end of the OPSU in half and then mod the wire harness to be as thin as possible. And then find a nut that is thin enough as well. I did all that today finding out this today made for a bad day as I was expecting this part for a couple days only to run into more set backs.

I got the pressure line to work and the variable unit to work but its really close.

Im not really trusting my power steering pulley installer. It just looked a little off when testing its parts. Namely that stud connecting the tool to the pump hub. Even with clearing up the room its still tight to work down there. This isnt exactly a noobs mod. The chance of leaking is good on a pressure line.

I tested the Russel fitting with 2 thin nylon washers and no contact was felt when spinning the pump hub.

One question I have is how much abuse can that power steering elbow take. Its got a lot of pull when you play with the braided line. I had to do a lot of moving around dealing with modding the sender unit. I dont think I ruined it but anyone ever ruined a ford elbow from too much abuse?

I cut the line at 11" thinking maybe if 10 was too short I could shorten it. 10" seems to be good with the non variable OPSU dont know about the modded one. The part that touches in the elbow terminal fitting so you have to swivel a little to clear it.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
I missed the reason why you're removing/installing the ps pump pulley. It doesn't need to be touched to install the fitting.

As I confirmed before, this fitting fixes the issue.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-670530/?rtype=10

I run that fitting with a teflon washer with zero issues.

One question I have is how much abuse can that power steering elbow take. Its got a lot of pull when you play with the braided line. I had to do a lot of moving around dealing with modding the sender unit. I dont think I ruined it but anyone ever ruined a ford elbow from too much abuse?
They aren't particularly hardy. I replaced mine while I had the engine out back in '07 for safe measure.

·
3,868 Posts
The car is back together minus the bumper cover and minus an unrelated leak I caused. I stripped out one of the hydraulic lines for the trans coolers new high flow set up. Good thing is its all reachable to replace.

Rodcougar I couldn't get any spin on the fitting with the pulley fully seated it rubbed the pointed angles I dont know why yours maybe is smaller size to turn, maybe my pulley was on too much(more likely). I didn't have to even remove the pulley just maybe pull it off 1/4 of the way. But I saw some weeps coming from the pump and said piece of cake I knew the drill.

I went so far as to swap in a new autozone pump just to have something fresh as possible. Plus I could see the pump weeping from the EVO and from the res return hose which I didn't like. I got a little testy with the PS system because I hated how my PS had leaks all over at one point. I did a pump job on my car before, so I swapped in a fresh one under warranty and fixed every leak/weep possible. I have new res/return hoses/rack/both rack elbows.

Its all leak free just as you said use this fitting and use a teflon washer. 2 washers on my case since they were thinner than in this threads pics. I added a tiny bit of copper rtv in between them to be 100% no leaks and it works great in sealing. I even threaded on a teflon seal at both ends. Yeah its further than most would bother but like I said I wanted to be 100% I got the teflon seal from the ford dealer ship. I didnt pay anything.

My elbow survived the thrashing but its not original either. Those with original elbows should really be swapping in a fresh one before doing this mod.

I think this is pretty much all I have to add to this. So yes you can mod the oil gauge and still mod the PS pressure line without too much work. An alternative solution would be to put a brass elbow on the OPSU and move it out of the way.

I think this thread would be great if people started merging some PS system leak overhaul. Really would be great to show people the ridiculousness of changing those elbows.

Btw here are the tools that made this an easy job.

The adjustable is only for the blue fitting shown the little yamaha wrench is what gets everything else AN wise. My other 17 mil stuff wasnt big enough and this wrench fit just right its awesome. It got max throw working on the elbow off the rack.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Just to verify before I buy everything:

Matt, you mentioned different hose routing for the 3.8 NA and SC, are all of the fittings the same for the 3.8 PS pump and rack?

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Ok thanks, was just wondering since the 3.8 and 4.6 have way different pumps.

·
3,868 Posts
Ok thanks, was just wondering since the 3.8 and 4.6 have way different pumps.
I think you need a sharper bend in the elbow to point straight down and under to the rack. Maybe a foot of line is needed.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts