TCCoA Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
Then I guess this is gonna be my first modification!

·
Super Moderator
3,566 Posts
I'm interested in it because I have a leak again and I may have a failed hose. In fairness the car has been sitting for 6+ years and I think that most of my hoses are in trouble but since I've lost most of my PS fluid I figured it would be a good time to move to a different setup.

·
Super Moderator
3,566 Posts
OK, I'm looking at doing this. I'm confused a bit by your list. Do you need this:
1 ea. OMEGA 1502 Steering Pressure Hose
2 ea. Russell AN to Metric Adapter Fittings 670530 -6AN
1 ea. ~18-24" -6AN hose with 90 degree connectors

or this:

2 ea. OMEGA 1502 Steering Pressure Hose
2 ea. Russell AN to Metric Adapter Fittings 670530 -6AN
1 ea. ~18-24" -6AN hose with 90 degree connectors

The pictures don't seem to line up with the second one.

Due to how the 5.0HO is laid out, it uses some slightly different parts.

After doing mine, I can say that you CAN use a pair of 90 degree fittings.

I used a 90 at the rack and a 45 at the pump - which fits, and works well, but a pair of 90s would be better.

I used one of these at the rack for a new elbow, one of these for the AN-6 adapter, and one of these at the pump. Two of the first would fit. I used a pair of these for the adapters. I used 24" of hose, but as the pics below show, something more like 16" would fit better (straight up and down).

I ran it in the middle of the A/C manifold so as to help keep it from shaking into the manifolds, but I may have been paranoid about that.

RwP

Pics below:

45* fitting:

90* fitting:

AN-6 adapter:

Hoses out of back of pump (from top):

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Bit of clarification (getting ready to do this on my SC).

Blue fittings 670530, go in to the EVO and Rack (replacing OEM line ) with only EVO fitting needing to be cut down?

All of this can be done with rack and engine still in the car?

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
Bit of clarification (getting ready to do this on my SC).

Blue fittings 670530, go in to the EVO and Rack (replacing OEM line ) with only EVO fitting needing to be cut down?

All of this can be done with rack and engine still in the car?
That's correct; if you go too deep with the EVO fitting, it trashes the pump. :)

It's not exactly easy, because of the rack end; I used two crows foot wrenches to break loose the fittings, then hand loosened them.

BTW, I had to yank the oil filter for room to work; be prepared. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I'd have a look at the threads in the pump if you can, the reason I had to cut down the adapter is the 4.6 pumps have a hole milled into the middle of the threads that will be blocked by the fitting if left unmodified. I don't know if SC pumps are the same way or not.

I was able to do mine with the filter in place, I can get to the rack elbow to line fitting from the top(wedging my arms between the fuse box and such).

·
Registered
179 Posts
So the list at the beginning of this thread is updated and correct? Because as I read through it I see 2 90° elbows would be better than 1 90° elbow and 1 45° elbow. Do I have to shave the Russell adapters down that are on that list or different ones mentioned in the thread? Just want to be sure because I have all the parts mentioned in the list in my cart at Summit. Also how many of each?

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Yes the list is up to date with the correct parts. There's 2 adapter fittings, one at the pump and one at the rack elbow, the adapter going into the power steering pump is the only one of the two that needs to be cut down (due to our pump's EVO orifices).

Ralph found 2 90*s would be ideal for his setup, but note that his Cougar has the 5.0, with a totally different placement of the pump than the 4.6. I and most 4.6 users use a STRAIGHT hose end at the rack with a 45* swivel end on the pump, which is currently what the article covers.

I haven't tried it but I think a 45* at the rack and a 90* at the pump could work too, just eyeballing that possibility though. That way the line could theoretically go over the sway bar rather than under it.

·
Super Moderator
3,566 Posts
I've done this. I finally got the rack changed and all of the associated hoses and fittings changed but I can't seem to get the fitting that plugs into the EVO to stop leaking. I've replaced the teflon seal twice now and all of my fluid just leaks out of the pump.

Any thoughts/ideas?

81 - 90 of 90 Posts