TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago i blew the motor on my 4.6 bird. its been sitting since i havent know what to do with it, but recently i been wanting to drive it more and more. So my question is how hard would it be to put a 5.0 motor and tranny out of a mustang in my car(reason being i know dealers that have access to these out of wrecked ones).
any help is appreciated,
John

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
for the hassle involved get a explorer 4.6 and be done, now i am not saying a 5.0 cannot be done, but for $ for $ your better off staying with a 4.6

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
CougarXR7Man said:
I think the first thing you need to do is get a K member from a 5.0 bird and start from there
The K-member for a 4.6 Thunderbird is the same as the K-member from a 5.0 Thunderbird. The only difference (besides the engine, of course) is the upper motor mount. You'll need one from a 5.0 MN12.

EDIT: The transmission from a Mustang wouldn't work very well in your Thunderbird (I assume you're talking about the T-5 manual box) since it's too short. The M5R2 5-speed used in the SC will work fine, it's definitely the right length, and the parts you need to fit it in your Thunderbird are fairly easy to come by. If you were thinking of the AOD, then yes, that will work.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
only 'hassles' are that you need to get the 96/97 fuel lines/rails, and some EGR stuff, and some cruise control stuff, since this stuff was changed in the 96+ model year for the 4.6 SOHC engine........the xplorer motor will bolt right up to your transmission

1 - 8 of 8 Posts