TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I know there are other ways around this but I thought this might be another option for some of you. :D

you might want to correct yourself, as that is not a 'coolant crossover tube' that is for sale.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
that wouldn't be that bad for someone like us swapping the NPI intake for a PI.

then you wouldn't have to drill and tap that crossover for your ECM coolant sensor. just pop it in that hole up top.

i wonder if it clears the hood.

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts
It probably will. The alternator is likely as high at that point.

I should go ahead and drill and tap the PI manifold I have, and we mail my drill/tap set around to paying members who are doing the swap, lol.

:D

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
a drill bit/tap would only be good for adding in the 2nd sensor on the flat boss on the crossover, but to do something like in the MMR piece, you'd need to weld an NPT bung onto the Tstat outlet piece since a plug would need the extra threads to seal.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, i did the whole drill and tap thing with mine. seems to work fine for the ECM.

still don't think i got the gauge sensor deep enough though. the gauge hasn't been accurate since. i had to check my motor with a tempgun to make sure i wasn't really running that hot! :D

I'm thinking its not in the coolant flow like it should be. i might have to mill down the top of that sensor bung on it a bit so i can thread that thing down a little deeper.

still works for now though, just fluctuates sometimes wildly from very cold, too 'whoa i need to shut this thing off' hot. every time Ive checked it though its fine with the scantool and tempgun >.>

suppose its also possible the sensors bad, but it worked fine before i swapped in that PI. and if all else fails Ive got the OE 97 crossover from a junkyard bird to swap...

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I also drilled and tapped mine; it's actually slightly crooked, but it works fine.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
oh yeah, mine went in at a slight angle too. wish i had a tap jig, but what the heck would i ever use it for on the other 364 days of the year. :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
10,296 Posts
that won't help. They are NPT threads. Think about it.
Yup.

The reamer that sizes things for the tap is a great idea. :)

If you tap the hole without reaming it, the sensor isn't deep enough, most likely.

That little round area at the bottom of the sensor should project fully into the crossover.

An npt fitting has a certain taper to it; there's a standard reamer taper to match.

The install process should be:
Drill small
Drill bigger
Drill bigger
Use Reamer
Use Tap.

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts