TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my problem is...

the COOLANT hose that goes into the upper plenum wasnt on there tight and it was pouring antifreeze all over the place, i could never see it because it was at night, i just added water, so today i crank it up and im looking its pouring out right under the motor, im like wtf is that so i pop the hood and its spewing out where it connects onto the intake plenum, needless to say i pushed it on there and tightened it and that fixed my leak problem, but if you look theres like puddles of anutifreeze all around my fuel rail and under there in that little valley, i dont know what exactly its doing but its causing rough idle, feels like an engine mount is out when im in the car (at idle only) car drives fine...soon as i stop at a light my cars sounds like its camming or something...

what do you think it is...im gonna try to get a rag and dab all that **** off tomm

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
rolledthatho said:
soon as i stop at a light my cars sounds like its camming or something...
i know what that is like :)

are you referring to the hose that plugs into the neck that sticks out of the front of the lower intake manifold? dont worry about the puddles of coolant, just soak them up with a paper towel. the rest will evaporate. pull those hoses off and make sure they arent chewed up or something. you made need new clamps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i am refering to the hose that goes into the UPPER intake plenum, the plenum that actually says 3.8 etc... anyway i checked em and they are good, i was thinking somehow the puddles may have been dripping into my injectors and causing it to burn with the fuel...

i guess not though because the heat evaporated the puddles before ieven had a chance to soak it all up!

if i turn the idle up a tad its ok, im trying to sell this car so how do i turn up the idle, just a screw or something, where is it located?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
hmm, im not aware of any coolant hoses that plug into the upper intake. must be an 89-90 3.8 thing.

there is a throttle set screw located on the throttle body right next to the upper right nut that holds the tb to the upper intake.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, yeah must be... thanks for the idle info AND....

this is the nipple it goes onto

and this is the hose that goes onto it!

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
yeah thats called the "coolant crossover" hose. On 91-97's it goes underneath the intake plenum in a steel tube. If it's leaking then replace the hose or tighten the clamps. Shouldnt be that hard. Id get that problem fixed first then if the idle problem doesnt go away we can address that later.
-Thomas

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it wasnt really on there, so lol i fixed it coolant is completley dried up has been for about 80 miles...still cams on me...lol

also thomas how can i diagnose a check engine light?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will do

but it better be some sort of vaccume line or else... ill let it cam and tell whoever i sell it to, that theres a racing cam in there or something :diablo:

jk i wouldnt do that :D

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
rolledthatho said:
will do

but it better be some sort of vaccume line or else... ill let it cam and tell whoever i sell it to, that theres a racing cam in there or something :diablo:

jk i wouldnt do that :D
heck, I know a guy who blew the plug out of his 5.4 head (threads blew out) and he JBWelded it in there and traded it in haha.
-Thomas

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HA! dont talk ghetto to me... i once saw a guy who had a blown headgasket, take his tig welder and welded a line all the way around where the head meets the block, ran it like that for 2 yrs or so..

lol

i just realized you said he traded it in...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, NOW THAT WAS WORTH READING... id like to shake his hand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts