TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends 3.8 Windstar is losing coolant, but it is not external. No apparent leaks under the frame or around the hoses. None leaking behind the firewall. Coolant is just vanishing in thin air! It has been fine for about 2 weeks and all of a sudden this issue came back. Anyone have any clues. There are no apparent signs of HG failure either. Oil isn't milky. The van has been starting up roughly though. But no smoke out the back, or even steam coming out the rad when the engine overheats. I'm completely stumped, and these are good hard-working people with no funds for a major fix. If anyyone has had this issue of mysterious coolant dissapearing, please let me know the outcome of your situation. Thanks.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
To me, it sounds like the headgasket monster is about to pop up. If they can do it, take a weekend and tear it down to replace 'em before they pop and do damage.

-Melon

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible for headgaskets to begin failing w/ no apparent signs at all? I mean, could there be any other explanation, or place that the coolant is leaking into. I think the coolant is in fact leaking somewhere in the block, b/c there isn't any outside. Is the HG the only barrier in the block that keeps coolant from entering it?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
def. HGs. my t-bird was loosing coolant for about a week or so before they went. had me confused as hell. i'm 99% sure.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is there any smell of coolant. I had the same problem with my windstar. The dealer said it was a small leak around the thermostat supposedly they fixed it. About a year later it happened again. This time i had the water pump replaced and the hoses, then it happened again so i figured it was the gasket from the front cover behind the water pump so i added bars stop leak and haven't had a problem since. See if that is the problem.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Pull the plugs on a cold engine. If one is real clean, thats the cylinder the antifreeze is leaking into. Front or back of each head is where they leak into the cylinder. You could have it sniffer tested also.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Is there any smell of coolant. I had the same problem with my windstar. The dealer said it was a small leak around the thermostat supposedly they fixed it. About a year later it happened again. This time i had the water pump replaced and the hoses, then it happened again so i figured it was the gasket from the front cover behind the water pump so i added bars stop leak and haven't had a problem since. See if that is the problem.
I just did the heads (and they were previously ground with a grinder or something like that) cause I had all the symptoms of blown heads. I am still loosing some fluid but I think it is the pump, or the radiator. I think it is more on the radiator side because the tranny is getting to warm and the fan runs a lot. Time for a new rad and tranny cooler!

BTW: I did the hoses and t-stat first and pumps will go out all at once, not gradully, so I am told.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts