TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 T Bird with a 4.6L is losing water at the rate of 1 qt. per 100 miles. No signs of external leak and passed smog clean. I have a pressure tester but no hard radiator cap like older cars. Where do you guys think it is going? Car runs fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
99% chance it's either an intake manifold leak, or the oil filter adapter.

Check the spark plug wells for signs of coolant, and the coolant tank for brown stuff.

!st is manifold gasket, 2nd is Oil filter adapter.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
I have thought SEVERAL times that I've blown a HG, due to my driving style.

I have yet to see a blown HG in a 4.6l engine.
I've got over 500k miles between cars, and Lazarus is over 300k, and has had the Intake gasket replaced twice, and the oil filter adapter replaced 3 times. :)

In my case, it was always one of those two I listed above.

If it's the Oil Filter Adapter, the oil pressure will leak into the coolant, and cause the coolant tank to vent, boiling over and blowing out the coolant when the pressure releases.

If you drive Hard, this is probably the issue, especially if you're not seeing coolant in the spark plug wells. (Causes misfiring, you'd notice.)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's the oil leaking into the coolant via the filter, wouldn't I see oil floating in the coolant when I pull the cap or at least when I skim the surface for a closer look for oil????

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
No, what you'll see is this brown crap adhered to the sides of the coolant tank.

It's not oil at that point, it's an emulation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts